Practicing nickel readings and came up with GOLD.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,290
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,285
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! The last gold ring I found was bouncing from a nickel and a pull tab on my ACE 250. Ever figure something out and couldn't explain it? Well, I did. I can tell a nickel from a pull tab most, I repeat most of the time with my ACE. But I can't explain exactly how. The tone is just a little different and after two years with the ACE I hardly look at the icons anymore, rather now I listen to the tones more than at first. Can slaw of the aluminum type always come in at the silver range on my ACE and my GTI 2500. But I have noticed a lot of people saying it comes in at the pull tab range. Can't figure out why unless it's just the difference between a Garret and other makes of detectors. And I have noticed that a gold ring on top of the ground gives a different tone than one that is buried. Why?? Beats me! Monty

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Thanks for the advice, guys.
I do notice that on my XLT, the pulltabs usually jump from 18 to 30
when hitting them from different angles while the nickels and gold
only jump 3 to 5 numbers. I am still learning though.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh Jeffro, why didn't I think of that? DOH!! :D I wish it was that easy, I really do. But I think the gist of the problem behind all this discussion is being able to distinguish gold from nickels and/or pull tabs. A nickel isn't extremely rare and is worth , well... 5 cents unless it is an old three legged Buff or some Indian heads. But you knew that you sneaky rascal. ;)
I've been thinking about my statement on the aluminum can slaw coming in as silver and I must explain that I was refering to pieces usually larger than a coin. And an old bent up pull tab sometimes shows up as a coin or a ring if you go by the icons. Now a quarter or a dime always shows up as a quarter or a dime and has a very strong tone where the can slaw and bent up pull tabs are somewhat weaker on my gear. I find half dollars deceiving and most of the time they are not half dollars. And I've only found about 4 half dollars total and was surprised every time! I've only found two dollar coins and they both were indicated by the quarter icon since they were the late issue smaller dollar coins. Just a little info from my limited experience. Monty

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TymCMurray,
That is a good way to fine tune your nickle and gold finding skills.
I like that idea.
There are many park laden places out there where people discriminate out the pulltabs and bottle caps and miss out on the nickles and gold.
A person could really clean up if they went back to similar locations that I just mentioned above.
I will still focus on the silvers and I just recently started to do the same thing instead of overlooking the nickles.
Thanks!
Rob

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ty...great digs. It takes MUCH patience to dig that many nickles...and you were justly rewarded.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
very nice find, and it is in excellent condition. the only things I have not found yet is gold and platinum. hopefully this year ends that drought.

best wishes for 2008.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes those nickel and pulltab readings = rings = $$$

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Congrats on your first gold and I hope you find many more that your coil passes over.

HH

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going, nickels are tough to find sometimes.

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
HI,and congrats on the gold.I started to expriment with the nickel signal at the end of my detecting year too.It does seem to be possible to differenciate between a nickel and a pull tab.
HH,Jim

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
IF YOU HAVE A DETECTOR THAT HAS A JEWELRY MODE TRY IT. I HAVE FOUND GOLD AND SILVER AND NICKLES IN THAT MODE. AND YOU CAN USE NOTCHES TO HUNT NICKLES.

HOPED THIS HELP'S.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job.