Prayer was answered...

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and the answer was "no". The 90 year old lady with the box of her deceased husband's half dollar collection did not call to let me help her dispose of them. :BangHead: But hey, next time I'll know better and get their number as well as give them mine. On the upside, $120 in CWR I picked up at the same bank gave up two '64 Kens, and $120 in CRW dimes gave up four--count 'em, 4--Rosies, which is more than I've ever found in such a small number of rolls.

So after all is said and done, you really do have to love this hobby...

Upvote 0

thebadger108

May 2, 2014
Payson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bummer man.. I was hoping you were going to write that you scored a bunch of silver halfvs

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
she may call you yet...be ready just in case

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
she may call you yet...be ready just in case

^^This^^

I have left my name and number with countless people (mostly bank tellers, but other random people that I've come across along the way) over the years. Only received one call, ever.

With that said, those coins are most likely not nearly as high on that elderly lady's priority list as it is yours. She might call weeks or even months down the road.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^This^^

I have left my name and number with countless people (mostly bank tellers, but other random people that I've come across along the way) over the years. Only received one call, ever.

With that said, those coins are most likely not nearly as high on that elderly lady's priority list as it is yours. She might call weeks or even months down the road.

This is very true. I'll share a parallel story: In 1987 I left my name and number with an 82 year old lady who occassionally drove a beautiful 1967 Ford Fairlane GTA 390 with only 54K miles on it around my home town. I stopped her in a grocery store parking lot one day and introduced myself, helped load her groceries into her car, and offered to help her pick up groceries or whatever she may need in the future. Of course, I also told her I'd like to buy her car when she was ready to sell and I gave her my phone number. She never called me to ask for help, BUT she did call me almost 1 year after I left her my number and she sold me her car for "as much as I could afford"! Heck, I was in high school and all I could afford was $700, but it was enough for her. I still have the car (now with only 57K miles) and, God willing, will not part with it until my death.

Don't give up!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
On a unknown person "cold-call" contact, what would be a fair price to offer someone? 50% of spot OR 10-times face? Comments, cuz I too might have someone unknown in the wings with AG.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a unknown person "cold-call" contact, what would be a fair price to offer someone? 50% of spot OR 10-times face? Comments, cuz I too might have someone unknown in the wings with AG.

I think 50% of spot is way too low. You don't want to rip anyone off. I'd offer close to what they would get if they went to a pawn or coin shop - maybe 70%-75% of spot. That way you will still make a little and be able to sleep at night. You can easily get spot on Craig's list or eBay (the bay will take 13%, but you will still make a little $).

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its all a matter of opinion. Who gets to decide what is "fair" for everyone else? Why do they get to make that decision?

My personal opinion is that a "fair" price is the price that both buyer and seller agree upon...be it 2X face, 200X face or anywhere in-between.

I don't understand the notion that making an offer that the seller can refuse could be in any way whatsoever be construed as "ripping someone off." I'd be depressed to know that I could never get a bargain anywhere at any time because I'd be cheating someone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread