Pre 1982 Lincolns

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a nice scale for sorting the 1982 copper vs. zinc Lincolns. Seems like it takes 147 copper Lincolns to make a pound. That's $1.47.
How much is copper for a pound? Is there a profit in this? Would it contribute to the future scarcity of copper Lincolns?

Scott

fairfinder59

Apr 2, 2007
Sullivan County
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / Whites DFX
Bare bright copper is going for $2.60 a lb. #1 copper is going for $2.50 a lb. #2 copper is $2.45 a lb, but I wouldn't sale penny's like that.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silversaddle1 said:
Hey guys, there's a whole forum on recycling copper pennies!

Check it out as it also has a scrap metal section in it.

http://realcent.forumco.com/

Wow! Cool site.
I just used the calculator and it says that for $20 face of pre '82 cents, that you would get about $39 melt value, almost double face!

To melt or not, that is the question...

Scott

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am a little hazy on this coin melt situation. Is it ok to melt silver U.S. coins but NOT copper coins? Is there a specific law currently banning the melting of copper U.S. coins? Can someone spell this out for me? :tongue3:

Also, is there a buyer's market for junk "copper" coins like there is on "junk silver" coins?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all my pre 1982 cents. Plus I don't see anything wrong with selling them for copper price......Matt

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save my pennies by date and mint mark. When I get 50 of a particular date and mint mark, I roll 'em up.
Thinking about trying a couple of rolls on Feebay. Maybe a "roll of mixed dates, mixed grades, pre 1982" just to see where it goes.

Scott

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
AU24K said:
I save my pennies by date and mint mark. When I get 50 of a particular date and mint mark, I roll 'em up.
Thinking about trying a couple of rolls on Feebay. Maybe a "roll of mixed dates, mixed grades, pre 1982" just to see where it goes.

Scott

I have been tracking it for awhile on feebay. A roll most likely will get you no premium, you will at least need to sell two boxes ($50) at a time to make some profit. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvereagle78 said:
AU24K said:

Scott

I have been tracking it for awhile on feebay. A roll most likely will get you no premium, you will at least need to sell two boxes ($50) at a time to make some profit. :thumbsup:

$50 in pennies sold on Feebay would cost a good bit of money on shipping. Guess that is where the profit would be made. Oh, and not to forget "handling" charges. :laughing7:

Scott

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Currently it is NOT allowed to melt us pennies (cent) or nickles. Silver is just fine.

In responce to ebay shipping USPS flat rate boxes are your friend. A medimum box is $10 and if paid on line delevery conformation is free. Two boxes with good packageing fits like a glove in a medimum box. Sold many that way.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cherryman68 said:
Currently it is NOT allowed to melt us pennies (cent) or nickles. Silver is just fine.

In responce to ebay shipping USPS flat rate boxes are your friend. A medimum box is $10 and if paid on line delevery conformation is free. Two boxes with good packageing fits like a glove in a medimum box. Sold many that way.

So how, where, and when have you sold? Do you have a source to sell to?

I understand(but don't agree) about the melting of silver via-a-vis copper.

I've heard that "copper is the poor man's bullion".

Best Wishes,
Scott

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I have been tracking sales on fee-bay. It appears that prices are rising, but not enough to make it profitable. I am holding for prices to go up.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Ok, I am a little hazy on this coin melt situation. Is it ok to melt silver U.S. coins but NOT copper coins? Is there a specific law currently banning the melting of copper U.S. coins? Can someone spell this out for me? :tongue3:

Also, is there a buyer's market for junk "copper" coins like there is on "junk silver" coins?

Oooooopps! My torch fell over and melted 2000 pennies before I knew what the heck was going on. Or bury your ingot/blob in the back yard for a month or two. If questioned, you dug them up metal detecting and didn't know what they were. ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread