Pre-garage sale finds! Pittsburgh area relics

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Okay, I'll issue an immediate disclaimer: I did not find these items. My cousins are holding a garage sale this weekend for their mother and asked me to check out a few items they'd found. What they had, mostly, was a small collection of modern Canadian coins, with a silver Rosey thrown in for good measure. I assured them that there was only about face value on the Canadians (if you went to Canada) and the Rosey had around $2.80 in silver. Then the cousin who enlisted my help showed me these two pieces. Before I go further, I once found a 1972 double-die Memorial in a five gallon container she had; it ended up being a pretty nice college graduation gift to me! Anyway, the first piece was round, close to a half dollar in size and looks and sounds like silver. I can't imagine that it is, though; it's a souvenir of the Orphans Picnic and West View Park (Pittsburgh) on July 30-31, 1915 and made by Bastian Bros. Co., Rochester, New York. On the front appears to be a goat, with F L T in links of a chain. I once saw a tall marker with the same initials in an old cemetery; someone knows what they mean! I went to school picnics at West View in the 1970's, but the park is long gone. The other piece was issued to commemorate a track meet sponsored by the Pittsburg Press on May 28, 1910; the "h" was restored to Pittsburg(h) shortly thereafter. This piece was made by Robbins Co., Attleboro, Mass. Had I dug these, they'd be killer pieces, but not in such nice shape. As it is, they're pieces of about 100 year old history. I hope someone has seen these before; I'll do some research of my own, just in case!

Attachments

• coolstuff 001 (Small).jpg
    coolstuff 001 (Small).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 142
  • coolstuff 002 (Small).jpg
    coolstuff 002 (Small).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 161
  • coolstuff 003 (Small).jpg
    coolstuff 003 (Small).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
I can tell you to research Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Nice finds.

I like those and they are very unusual finds. Good shape for their age. Tennessee digger

nice stuff half...I'm origanally from "Sharpsburg" in the N.Hills.....HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back