Pre-storm history with a side of luck!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Work was slow so I hit the woods ahead of the storm. Waiting for this field to get harvested on a running permission. There once was a house in the field and we’ve been pounding the woods in the area to get a sample of the goodies. Found my second and third flat buttons on the edge, another lucky horse shoe (Keeping the three horseshoes Ive found in my huge bucket of dug clad, turned up so I don’t spill my luck. Not superstitious but not taking any chances hehe) ,lots of square nails, part of an arrowhead and other unknowns. The round brass thing was in the same hole as the handle... any ideas on what it is cause I haven’t a clue. I’ve previously found a grave yard that the owner told us was there. threw in a pic of that too. Obviously we stay away from that. He said it was a slave graveyard. It’s down hill about 75-100 yards from where the house was. The wind was whipping like crazy and a couple dead trees fell in the area while I was there. I was kinda freaked out but this was gonna be my only shot for the weekend. Addiction can kill folks. 44EBCB50-36F5-4FE3-AD59-3CDE09242A36.jpeg F3AA8A06-7A70-4B2C-AB6E-9E9AC7E994F5.jpeg CD72B7C7-D460-4297-9C54-20670F042047.jpeg 99083A01-F356-4FD9-A284-B049816966EE.jpeg 0FE76359-945B-48B6-B41E-DF5A81B016C7.jpeg
Sorry the pics are all upside down and sideways... can’t seem to prevent it.

Upvote 17

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks promising, keep at it, seems like forever waiting on the fields to be harvested, lol

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way ta go.Congrats on some cool stuff.:icon_thumright:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round brass thing is called a balk ring. It's part of a synchronizer for a manual auto transmission. I don't recognize the handle and I think unrelated.

Nice finds!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good post.. addiction is imminant once you find some goodies.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds and congrats! However, it is sad that the Slaves graves are only marked by unmarked stones! They were human beings with births, names and dates of their deaths.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do so agree, and they may have been marked once upon a time. Before emancipation, it was law in the south that you couldn't teach your slaves to read. Reason being, they didn't want them to read the bible just believe what the preacher man say. Because "The word is truth, and the truth will make you free". When it came to be that no one living could remember who was buried where, the identities were lost to time. With slaves in transit all the time, for one reason or another, families were separated with the children too young to even remember the folks in the graves.
Thankfully, there are public groups as well as research agencies trying to find the family relationships of these folks, thru DNA. sometimes they can even tell you which village they came from.
I have some family that was the original DIY clan. Ever since their first pioneer ancestor they were buried with hand hewn limestone blocks to mark their graves. None of those stones are still readable without a tracing and even then you have to fill in the blanks. That's a direct result of fossil fuel electricity.
Best wishes and good luck!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first time the Fox peaked thru the door in the henhouse!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buttons! :icon_thumleft: Can't wait to see what you find there!

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and congrats! However, it is sad that the Slaves graves are only marked by unmarked stones! They were human beings with births, names and dates of their deaths.

I agree 100%. Seems amazing they even got stones at all and so close to the plantation house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice buttons! :icon_thumleft: Can't wait to see what you find there!

I know, me too! This rain isn’t helping matters. Them soy beans need to dry out! I wanna be there when the tractors roll out. Planning on being at the edge of the field waiting with a big grin on my face.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread