Preble county ohio hopewell indian site

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ive found an untouched indian camp in the past year ive found over 50 points 30 hammer stones one axe and one celt is there anyone that has experience in this??? I would love to get someone who knows what theyre doing so we can start moving some dirt.. this is my first year hunting and honestly have no idea what im doing serious inquiries only please…anything anyone find they can keep i only ask for your knowledge flint types, time period best places to look ect thank you for reading

Upvote 7

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you may be at a site that was hit by an illness that swept through and killed off the encampment, It sounds like you are in the right area for that to have happened. And it happened a lot. The remaining folk, moved on and left everything behind.

UTDev78

Greenie
Jan 17, 2024
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro and V3i
Hi ive found an untouched indian camp in the past year ive found over 50 points 30 hammer stones one axe and one celt is there anyone that has experience in this??? I would love to get someone who knows what theyre doing so we can start moving some dirt.. this is my first year hunting and honestly have no idea what im doing serious inquiries only please…anything anyone find they can keep i only ask for your knowledge flint types, time period best places to look ect thank you for reading
Nice! BTW, I hunt in Montgomery and Warren County Ohio (S/SE of Dayton). Find quite a bit in the creeks. We are practically neighbors!

magua

Sep 18, 2022
Wow. Looks like you could register that site and get it recorded. That's a great deal of artefacts and I'm thinking it could really date the time for the village, culture, as well as allow people to look for post molds, other features and really break it down for the details.

Those are unique finds and last site that I was asked to look at, the individual had pulled up a number of artefacts such as these...points, grinders, gorgets, you name it...they found post molds and eventually burials which allowed them to identify pottery with burials, pipes, etc. Tons of features and it really changed the map for what they knew about cultures in that area which led to some big updates to the Ohio River Valley area.

You're definitely onto something. I'd get someone involved to help identify more of those individual items. One note: It's a private site that you're given permission. These are your artefacts that you are locating. Consult someone for some assistance in identifying and allow them to help identify those things that I mentioned before such as culture, time, etc. they can even give you pointers on further searching, non-surface finds, while not damaging anything in the process. If someone wants to sit down and talk with you about it...show them and go over the points, etc. Allow pics if they choose but DO NOT allow them to take them for review. You'll never get them back and as being experienced...I've watched universities and even state museums borrow items for further review and the people never get them back.

I work with a group and we would identify, photograph, measure various things, and we would even help with site identification, advice on digs, and references, consults...and we're all volunteers for the most part but we never ask for the items. If someone begins asking...they're definitely a pro archaeologist and they love to take credit for items that are not their finds. haha. My group are all pros and experienced and educated (I consider myself a arch associate or research assistant but not arch). We still have respect and integrity. But if you find good people, they'll help without taking anything.

Another note: I wouldn't consult a NA contact at first. Just my opinion.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see any photos of pottery and the artifacts appear to be a wide time range of archaic stuff. I think you've found an ideal camp site that was used over centuries and therefor the multitude of artifacts. A couple of items looked like flint nodules covered in cortex, so those may have been available in the creek for tool making. The artifacts appear to be made from several flint sources, though I'm not familiar with all that occurs in your area. I don't see anything that indicated a Hopewell settlement. I suspect you'd be disappointed in your results if you started digging. Those archaic sites in my experience weren't highly developed and were short duration. I'm in northern Ohio, Wyandot county, and our farm has high creek banks that were heavily utilized in the archaic. The most I find are numerous hearths when I plow deep enough to turn up charcoal. They are scattered about and at most contain some fire cracked rock. I have found numerous artifacts in cultivated fields. Enjoy your hunts and I wouldn't invite too many to help, or you may regret it later.

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At most maybe a flake knocked off, and they could easily just be random flake from mother nature. I would have left it in the field, but that is me.

OP
OP
Bmorgan3

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like fossil fell out, no sign of being worked.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as digging make sure your in the clear as far as state laws go but a lot of times I’ll walk a spot till I see some flakes and make a small hole. Sometimes I’ll scrape down from the top or if the hole is bigger I’ll scrape down the sides with a trowel and feel/listen for it to hit stone. I know soil is different but around here there’s so much clay it’s pretty difficult to screen and it usually has to be pretty dry for a long time to do that.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know soil is different but around here there’s so much clay it’s pretty difficult to screen and it usually has to be pretty dry for a long time to do that.
And clay soil that has been dry for a while tends to be about as easy to dig as concrete.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, got too dry here for a few years and it was all I could do to scrape away anything with my trowel in some spots. Wore me out before I could make much progress there’s definitely a sweet spot.

igloo777

Jun 25, 2020
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If not consulting an archaeologist, you should painstakingly keep records. Once you remove an artifact, disturb stratigraphy, etc., its context is lost and so is much of the information it once imparted. Learn archaeological methods if you plan to dig. It's a science, and it's more than just finding artifacts. This could be an important site, and as lovers of preserving history, we should be doing our best to preserve it in perpetuity.

magua

Sep 18, 2022
If not consulting an archaeologist, you should painstakingly keep records. Once you remove an artifact, disturb stratigraphy, etc., its context is lost and so is much of the information it once imparted. Learn archaeological methods if you plan to dig. It's a science, and it's more than just finding artifacts. This could be an important site, and as lovers of preserving history, we should be doing our best to preserve it in perpetuity.

Totally agree. It allows people to look at the context of what was going on in the surrounding area by dating the items. It also allows them to see if the items are from various areas, such as along a trade route. it allows them to narrow it down to a specific culture, that may have occupied the area that time.

Honestly, most do not care if you keep the items. There are often times that we will leave a note and a Storage card in a plastic bag and ask people to at least take photographs and mail them to us or email them to us. It allows us to get an idea of what kind of points and chert/Flint that were in that area. I bet nine times out of 10, people send us pictures or the storage cards back. In fact, I honestly can’t remember where somebody did not respond.

It’s very helpful

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I'd start digging where ya found that slate piece, great find, ...There are plenty of books out there, Robert Converse has a good Ohio flint types book the second edition is better, Lar Hothem has some good books on ID as well, Theres the ASO your county might have a local chapter, Youre in a good area for artifacts...

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stoked for you! That’s a great group of finds! I’ll happily man a shovel if it’s ever wanted…

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions