Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this some time ago and keep meaning to ask about it. Southwest Missouri area. I would have thought "scraper" but some of the posts here about preform make me think maybe that's what it is? If it's a preform, what would have been the end result? Would they start with something this thick and thin it down enough to make it into a spear point? Just wanting to advance my understanding. Here are both sides and an edge, taken with morning sun coming through the window.

IMG_3003.jpeg IMG_3004.jpeg IMG_3005.jpeg

Upvote 7

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Mike makes a good point with the crack but I was thinking core to like Blackfoot. Could be both

OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. The concepts of preforms and cores are fairly new to me. As much as I love finding points, and would like to know how to make them, I've never really learned about that aspect of it.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d highly recommend learning how to make them, really helps to understand how things are made (obviously) but also why they may have done certain things or what they may have saw that caused them to abandon a piece.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d highly recommend learning how to make them, really helps to understand how things are made (obviously) but also why they may have done certain things or what they may have saw that caused them to abandon a piece.
Yeah, sometimes I think, unless I can actually talk to the one who made it, you'll never really know of sure what they had in mind. They might just say, with this, I was teaching all the youngsters the do's and don'ts of tool making with that particular piece.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would call that a failed stage 1 or 2 biface. The end failed and he lost the length he was looking for. The arrows point to porosity that led to failure. Burlington flint is so common in MO. If one fails you just grab another piece and start over. Creeks with a good supply of flint are usually loaded with reject pieces like this.
IMG_2660.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions