Preforms and Flint Cores?

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Here are a couple of items I found on my creek hunt with my brother on Sunday. I'm still kind of new to this but I think the two on the left are flint cores and I think the two on the right might be preforms (maybe an Adena and a Dickson?)

Am I even close?

preforms.JPG

The two possible preforms are uniface (which seems weird to me) but the cores look pretty much the same all the way around.

The find at the bottom right is just under 4" for size reference. And the two that I think are preforms are both about one inch thick.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Good eye. The creek looks very promising, the points will come. What part of MO you hunting. I am around the Sedalia and east area. Lots of artifacts out there for everyone. Thanks for posting and good luck on future hunts. JYD...

OP
OP
B

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Thanks, Uniface. At least I was close - of course being half right wouldn't get me very far on an exam, would it? LOL That's why my brother and I laugh a lot while we are hunting. One of us will pick up something and really stare at it. We always end with, "maybe if we stare at it long enough it will BE something".

I think the two on the right confused me because they have stems and were more in the shape of points I have seen posted. I haven't found a whole point, yet, but I'm having a great time learning.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
B

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Thank you, Junkyard Dog, I'm just southwest of STL in Jeff Co. Funny thing is that I'm just south of clovis sites in Chesterfield and just north of Clovis sites in Imperial and I can't find a whole point from even a few hundred years ago. LOL I know it just takes time and I'm having fun learning so one of these days I hope I'll have something nice to post.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, great finds, great attitude.... yea..... keep searching that area and you will soon be posting full on points.... thousands of years old :icon_thumleft:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I've stopped having opinions about Missouri/Oklahoma/Texas due to inadequate familiarity with what went on there. But given that

1). the typical Hopewell blade/blade core (at least in the east) runs around two inches,

2) that Paleo/Early Archaic and Hopewell are the two sources of blade cores in most places (at least in the east), and that

3) yours are Clovis size,

you may be finding exhausted Paleo relics.

OP
OP
B

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Thank you, Airborne. I know you are right, I find a lot of broken points so there just has to be some whole ones out there. In the meantime, I do find a lot of scrapers, gravers and little blades and as long as I'm finding something, I'm happy. Good luck hunting!

Uniface, you probably have a better opinion of what is here than I do - and I live here, lol. Thanks for your information on these and for all of the info you post regularly. It REALLY helps. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread