Preforms litter the ground

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I've been hunting a spot within walking distance of my house lately. All I can find in this spot is preforms, or bad attempts.

image-2649252658.jpg

image-2422174858.jpg

image-2111061665.jpg

image-3613111009.jpg

image-3320518181.jpg

image-3241015723.jpg

image-540914456.jpg

image-3723627344.jpg

Not much. What's crazy is one large circle in the field is littered with milky quartz, most of which looks flaked a little and tossed. This isn't the only place that I know of with piles for specific type lithic scraps. Any answer or idea why they worked one lithic at a spot?

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some point styes desire a certain type of lithic . for example : Susquehanna broad points(1200-700 B.C) Typically made of rhyolite found near Gettysburg PA , i have one field i search where i find practically nothing but rhyolite and Susquehanna broad points.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find a point I bets gonna b pretty HH

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is interesting how you described your spot. It sounded just like the spot I go to once a yr that I call " Quartz Land". It would be nice if somebody knows the answer. I aint lying QL has a square of 30' x 50' of nothing but quartz preforms and flakes. I have gotten a few good tools from the spot but not many.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
That's some nice finds. I found some small pieces (very small) in Timberlake last week. Lots of quartz there too.

Don't be snaking my grounds! Lol! Just kidding you neighbor. I hunted timberland a little last week. I stopped on my way to Durham. Those fields out there look nice since the bottom leaves are gone. If you ever see a gold/silver coloredGMC pulled off on the road side, stop and say hello.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is interesting how you described your spot. It sounded just like the spot I go to once a yr that I call " Quartz Land". It would be nice if somebody knows the answer. I aint lying QL has a square of 30' x 50' of nothing but quartz preforms and flakes. I have gotten a few good tools from the spot but not many.

This is just a guess, if the stone quarry was not real close, they would have to pack it in themselves or by slaves. Once they had the stone it was just a matter of sitting down and working. Also there may be a quartz vein in the ground close by that they had to dig to get at it. I have seen places in Arkansas that they removed 5ft of over burden to get to the stone they wanted, you can still see they marks of fire , where they would crack the stone with fire's.

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC field hunter. If I see you I will stop. The farm I went is frippen huge and I think it butts up to the Flat. Should be a lot there, I haven't even scratched the surface of this place. And the field is as clean as a whistle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions