πŸ₯‡ BANNER Prehistoric Copper Culture spear/harpoon head found in Quebec.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the fields frozen solid decided to try my luck in the woods that produced some Native American artefacts in the past. The area is extremely old so anything is possible. Wasn't expecting this though. Unearthed it very deep from under the fallen tree roots so I believe it might actually have been deeper at one point but the tree roots pulled it closer to the surface. Right out of the ground it looked like a small spear head but unlike any kettle points I have found in the past it was very thick, made of what looked like pure copper (not an alloy) and it was very crudely made. I started doubting the spear head idea and thought that it's some strange ramrod piece but its size and the extreme depth it was found at just wouldn't fit the theory. Only after arriving home and sending pics to some more knowledgeable friends and posting on specialized forums I really understood what it was. It seems I have found an Archaic Period Copper Culture spear/harpoon head dating to approx. 4000-1000 B.C. I still can't grasp those numbers as even hunting in Europe I would have had a very little chance of finding a 3000-6000 years old copper man made relic. What's even more interesting is they are extremely rare in Quebec and might have traveled the long distance from the Great Lakes thru the exchanges between the Native tribes. Super excited about this one as it's by far my oldest metal object find.

copperculture

20171115_095756[1963].jpg 20171115_095834[1961].jpg
20171115_095817[1962].jpg Screenshot_20171117-182158.jpg

Ref. Copper culture homestead.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 74
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Great find , If you didnot keep soil off your relic , you need to go back to where found it and collect a soil sample from undisturbed ground from the inside of your dug hole . Luminescence testing of the soil sample date the exact time when this relic was last exposed to sun light . This best advice anyone can give you Tinpan

Thank you for the advice.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Winner winner Poutin dinner! That example is a survivor and worthy of a days’ worth of daydreams - who held it? What animal did it get stuck into? Very cool find Anton.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Winner winner Poutin dinner! That example is a survivor and worthy of a days’ worth of daydreams - who held it? What animal did it get stuck into? Very cool find Anton.

Thanks Steve. Really happy with this find. Hard to imagine that the last time a human held it in his hands was around the time or well before the Great Pyramid of Giza was built.

Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah, so this is what you dig up when the fields are frozen! ; )

The prestige that object would have conferred its owner is hard to imagine, particularly the further east it traveled from the Great Lakes. I can't imagine what the hunter experienced with its loss!
From what I gather the mega fauna were extinct by the archaic period, but at the older end of the range for this object you are probably coming close to cultures which still told stories of hunting mammoths and giant sloths! At least, so says my uneducated but wishful brain. :laughing7:

Look, this banner thing has become a terrible nuisance. I imagine at this point you realize you'll have to find a cache of 12th century gold dinars to get up there. But in the meantime, you continue to put on the best show in the Americas.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The prestige that object would have conferred its owner is hard to imagine, particularly the further east it traveled from the Great Lakes. I can't imagine what the hunter experienced with its loss!
From what I gather the mega fauna were extinct by the archaic period, but at the older end of the range for this object you are probably coming close to cultures which still told stories of hunting mammoths and giant sloths! At least, so says my uneducated but wishful brain. :laughing7:

Look, this banner thing has become a terrible nuisance. I imagine at this point you realize you'll have to find a cache of 12th century gold dinars to get up there. But in the meantime, you continue to put on the best show in the Americas.
LOL, I'm wondering if everyone on here who mentioned banner actually voted for it. I know I did. Seems there should have been enough votes for it to be there already myself, if everyone voted.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL, I'm wondering if everyone on here who mentioned banner actually voted for it. I know I did. Seems there should have been enough votes for it to be there already myself, if everyone voted.

I know I did, an item such as this holds a great deal of scholarly value on many levels where many questions are still in the wind.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know I did, an item such as this holds a great deal of scholarly value on many levels where many questions are still in the wind.

I agree.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks man. One of my favorite finds, no doubts about it. Just to imagine the things the owner of the spear head saw,how different the life was back than, here and in the rest of the world. I have found many Native stone tools in the past, but from my understanding they cannot be ID'd age wise with precision, so no way of knowing how old they are for sure,could be thousands or could be a few hundred. With this relic I'm pretty sure for the first time that I'm the first person to hold it in it's hands for thousands and thousands of years. There's something special about it.

And concerning the banners, I gave up on them a long time ago. I'm starting to think it has more to do with me than with my finds. But the recognition of my efforts by relic hunters like you and many others is the best reward I can imagine.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thank you for your support. What I find very interesting is the fact it ended up in Quebec. It really shows the importance of natutal trade routes for the Native tribes of archaic North America.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And concerning the banners, I gave up on them a long time ago. I'm starting to think it has more to do with me than with my finds. But the recognition of my efforts by relic hunters like you and many others is the best reward I can imagine.
I think if someone here has a personal grudge against you it should have no bearing on your finds and whether they are banner worthy. If there was ever a find on this so called "treasure hunting forum" that was bannerworthy (for several reasons), it's this one. If the mods can't see it, then they can't see too well I guess. That's all I have to say about that.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think if someone here has a personal grudge against you it should have no bearing on your finds and whether they are banner worthy. If there was ever a find on this so called "treasure hunting forum" that was bannerworthy (for several reasons), it's this one. If the mods can't see it, then they can't see too well I guess. That's all I have to say about that.

No. I don't think someone has a grudge against me, I don't think there would be a reason for. Maybe more to do with my luck. I always tend to get finds that ''almost'' get it to the banner section.

Thanks for you support.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

More rare than finding a meteorite, digs get funded off finds like this.

I think you where right the first time about not all reporting it as a banner that claimed cause the rules on banners are pretty clear and this meets them all that we can see, only thing we can not see is if all was reported as claimed.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Great find , If you didnot keep soil off your relic , you need to go back to where found it and collect a soil sample from undisturbed ground from the inside of your dug hole . Luminescence testing of the soil sample date the exact time when this relic was last exposed to sun light . This best advice anyone can give you Tinpan
Might have to wait till springtime cause the soil around these parts is just about frozen solid.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Might have to wait till springtime cause the soil around these parts is just about frozen solid.

Yep. A very unusual freezing fall. I remember hunting on Christmas few years back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions