mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks folks for the input. will check these sites out. I am having to stay in more than I like & am sick of knitting & cooking, so I thought since I have the material I might as well learn, I know nothin about it, so I'm just hoping to learn. I have both sheds & from hunting.
thanks again,

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some obsidian that I picked up in the wild.
Would that work OK for points?

Grey

dances for eels

Sep 22, 2011
There are many types of obsidian and a fantastic variety of colors and patterns, but, yes, it is an excellent choice for point making. Historically, obsidian from northern California/Oregon was a choice trade item and greatly prized.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To make a precussion hammer, cut the antler off at the first tine (or cut the tine off if the handle will be too short and cut beyond it), round the thicker end with an angle grinder or bench grinder, and start preforming your stone. To make a pressure flaker, use antler tines, and grind the tips to a three sided point, and start your pressure flaking work on your preforms. FYI, moose antler bases make the best precussion flakers. Deer tines make better pressure flakers. Elk antler is a bit too porous and not as strong.
Robin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread