Prepping Food to last longer.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people don't know this but a freshly laid egg will last almost 11 months if you don't wash off the protective coating on it. As long as oxygen can't get through the shell it won't turn the egg bad. If you buy eggs in a grocery store or farmers market, they have already been washed. Coat them in Olive Oil and place back in the egg carton, you can keep them un-refrigerated for almost six months.

When block cheese goes on sale always buy as much as you can afford. Purchase some good high quality food was and then completely dip the store bought cheese in the melted wax, make sure to overlap the wax marks. Let it cool then just store it in your pantry. Oxygen cannot get through the wax to destroy the cheese for several years.

I purchase food grade buckets from our local donut shop for $1.00 a piece with lid. I clean them out and use them for long term food storage. Pasta will keep forever if you vacuum seal it or use the mylar bags with an oxygen absorber in it, seal it and check it the next day. Should look just like you vacuum sealed it. Fill up the food grade bucket with these items and label on the outside what the bucket contains when it is full. ALways wrap the top down with duct tape to keep out oxygen as well, I through an extra oxygen absorber in the bucket before I do that step.

Store whole grain wheat in Mylar bags and seal with the oxygen absorber inside. Buy a grinder and you can make your own flour for 25 years or more, same for basically any legume. Salt and sugar are biggies as well, just seal them in Mylar with an absorber and place in the buckets, good for another 10 - 15 years at least.

These are just a few of the things I have learned and they are far cheaper then the $6,000 dollar option from Costco.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Also buy coffee in the vacuum sealed bags, koolaid, tang, or lemonade in the cans for long term storage. I always place a pack of napkins in each bucket. You can use these twice if you need to.Instant tea can be bought in glass containers. Pickels, jalapenos, and pickle relish can be bought in glass containers as well. Rice, beans and other dry goods can be stored in their own bags or transferred to other containers for long term storage. All these can be stored in 5 gallon plastic buckets picked up at the local hardware or building stores. Always use a 5 gallon mylar bag inside the bucket. A hand warmer unit will effectively absorb all oxygen before sealing. A bucket is also easier to grab and carry incase of an emergency. A dehydrator is invaluable for long term food storage, and don't forget the convenience items, soap, toothpaste, baking soda,alcohol wipes, baby wipes, first aid kit, sewing kit, manicure set, comb, brush, towels, wash cloths, bandanas, if you bug out. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something else most don't think of. Good ole fashioned butter. When it goes on sale, once again snag as much as you can, then melt it all down together over low heat on the stove. Skim off anything that floats on the surface. While you are doing this, start warming up as many small mason jars as you think you will need along with the lids. Clean jars and lids as directed. When the butter has clarified start spooning it into the mason jars, place a lid on them and place them in a hot water bath, not pressure canned. Let them stay in the hot water bath for about an hour or so and remove, place them on a towel on the counter. Every fifteen minutes or sure make sure you give them a little swirl without popping the lids off. After an hour or so you can stop that, within three hours the lids should start to pop by sucking down. Once processed they should last for years before going bad, all without refrigeration.

I have included a YouTube video on this, you always need butter for everything.

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info, I'll have to try the oil thing. On those eggs, don't forget the float test. If it floats it is has gone to the dark side. We usually buy 5 dozen eggs at a time and they last us at least 2 months in the fridge untreated, if our marauding teenagers don't get to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread