"PRESERVATIONISTS" versus mders, who does it better?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"PRESERVATIONISTS" versus md'ers, who does it better?

first the pics, then a short story. IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1142.JPG IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1145.JPG IMG_1144.JPG IMG_1146.JPG IMG_1147.jpg not shown is a MINT STATE '64 Rosie, the silver ring hallmark of Indian chief appears to be southwest Navajo or Hopi tribe, any help in dating and maker ID would be helpful. the lipstick appears to be vintage, made of brass, again no brand marks. NOW THE IRONY. this was a 2 day hunt at a "naturist preserve" (READ THAT NON-PROFIT TAX EXEMPT) in Ulster county NY. there is no hunting- ground is filled with shotgun and rifle brass, there is no fishing at the pristine huge lake that is teeming with trout and black bass- half the humans I saw there had fishing poles with them. I dig a spill on a trail at the shoreline consisting of a '78 Canadian quarter, a clad qtr. and a clad dime. two feet away in the middle of the trail is a rotting 11 inch smallmouth bass. some much for catch and release or conservation, more like catch and waste.my hunt on the huge parcel was confined to one foot trail and the 1 mile dirt road that leads into the preserve. when I made contact with the steward he said digging would not be allowed even if I would donate any significant artifacts to the group. all the trash I dug, pulltabs, cans, bottle caps, foil and general junk left by the tree hugging hikers was put in my pouch and disposed of properly. my unscheduled meeting with 2 blacksnakes was an added bonus. glad I didn't get to meet the bobcat, bears or copperheads and timber rattlers known to reside on the property, I'll leave that to the hikers and dog walkers. not just bears crap in the woods. I guess my point to all this is that we MD'ers dig stuff to save it and to be cherished by someone forever. the preservationist believes what is valuable, but in the ground should stay there for no one to enjoy. the next time you leave home stay away from all places that have been visited by someone with a metal detector, for that place is forever ruined for anyone who goes there. NOW I FEEL BETTER, on to my next futile attempt to save the planet

Upvote 1

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ask Mike Barber State Archaeologist of Virginia his opinion. I had this discussion with him over the phone. he would rather soldiers' graves be destroyed than found. what can you say about this mentality? nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread