preserving pottery?

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20150315_234333205.jpg

Found some pottery today. This is the biggest piece I've ever found. Does anyone know anything about preserving pottery?

Upvote 0

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
As long as they're properly fired, they will preserve themselves ( this is for shards w/ no cracks), essentially fired clay is stone in most respects.
For delicate pieces I wonder if Dr. Gomers bone preservative would work?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wash the pieces in tap water with a soft tooth brush be gentle and dry. After that put it in a frame or shadow box makes great decoration. To me they are small pieces of art work. These are my best so far. Nice big piece you found.

Attachments

• SDC11715.JPG
    SDC11715.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 94

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has lasted a long long time already as is. The only time I worry is when under water its whole life and you bring it out to dry. I used to never even keep the broke pottery but it is fun to learn about

OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! Yes tnmountains, thru have been in water and that was my worry. Any tips? Rock, I really like that piece in the second row from the bottom, far right.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! Yes tnmountains, thru have been in water and that was my worry. Any tips? Rock, I really like that piece in the second row from the bottom, far right.

Yeah that is the only one I have ever found with that design. I showed to somebody before and he thought it might be a accident like a double stamp. But it surly looks like a insect with lots of legs. Ive never found a example like it yet. I get lucky every once in a while.
Closer look for you.

Attachments

• SDC10721.JPG
    SDC10721.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is awesome. I've heard the wateree depicted things with one eye... and the missing eye was the void of whatever...spirit, soul, personality lol something like that

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pottery will hold it's own. Like it was said before it has lasted this long it will last has long has us.:thumbsup: Good find.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to mention the Gomer's solution is great for preserving pottery.
Its true it has lasted a long time when we find it but in most cases it spent the majority of its time in one stable condition or another it's when it's removed from the environment it spent the majority of its time in and conditions change that breaking down really speeds up.
On a case by case basis you should be able to tell if it's sturdy and solid or not

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. Use the Gomer's boom. People say the same thing about hard bone and shell. They are wrong. Over time and maybe that's after you are gone, it will get chalkier, drier, flaky, get dusty etc.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is awesome. I've heard the wateree depicted things with one eye... and the missing eye was the void of whatever...spirit, soul, personality lol something like that

I don't know much on that but do know they did stuff like birds and insects at times on their pots. Glad you like it if I ever find another one I will send it to you :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread