Preserving wood artifacts?

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Have any of you folks (particularly bottle diggers) dug up/preserved wooden artifacts?

I was digging at a bottle pit today and found a small Victorian-era toy boat made of wood. It isn't badly rotted, but parts of the wood seem kind of soft. I haven't cleaned it yet, so it's still caked with dirt.

How would one go about cleaning and/or protecting dug wood objects like this? Thanks!

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am assuming you font wash it with water or anything very wet but brush the dirt off like an Archaeologist does, with a dry very soft paint brush.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is stuff you can buy at hardware stores that will harden up soft or rotten wood.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50/50 raw linseed oil and turpentine brushed on every day for a week, every week for a month, every month for a year, every year forever.

Travis Shelby

Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Protecting Wood with Oil. Oil whenever the wood feels dry. Outside of industrial uses, rubbing in oil is the most common way to preserve wood, especially the one that's really old & perhaps even waterlogged. The right oil will soak into the wood's pores, keeping the wood strong and slowing absorption of water that can cause rot. I would suggest using any oil based wood preservatives available in the market and avoid the water based ones. There are plenty of well known brands that provide great products. Consider paying a visit to your local improvement retailer.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is stuff you can buy at hardware stores that will harden up soft or rotten wood.

I used the product on a rimm joist that had a soft spot on it. Worked really well, but I can't remember if it discolored the wood.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use Linseed oil/beeswax, also there's raw or boiled linseed that I mix with pine tar 50/50.
The wood needs to be under 15% moisture for anything to work properly in preserving the wood.

Post up a picture, I would love to see if.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PVA beads is what I use. Archeologists use it and you put it on once and don't have to do it over and over and great thing is it's reversible unlike other methods so it never soaks into the wood, just forms a protective barrier. Here are some eating utensils I dug from a CS camp of bone and wood preserved in this manner. IMG_20210221_212117.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread