Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So, we are going to purposely dumb down our children because God is a scary word, just like the "N" word?? Maybe he could have said "under G" instead. You guys are missing the point just to jump in front of ol' dumbo to take another bullet for him. IF, I say "IF" it is widely accepted that Lincoln said "under God" in the address, shouldn't THAT be the version passed down? Say your little students aren't supposed to hear about death or wanting to die. C'mon, hear me out. Now, you are going to teach the little lambs a little about history. You are now going to tell them about Patrick Henry saying "Give me liberty or give me death". Shall we change that to "Give me liberty or give me a time out"? Same thing, whether it's God or anything else, don't change real history to fit an AGENDA.

We are not dumbing down our children. The issue of religion in public schools, is for the most part a local issue. Each district handles it in the way they see fit. Rules regulating religious activities, celebrations etc are all covered by each district according to the standards employed by that district.

For example, in the Bible belt you aren't going to get much opposition in a small school district to a teacher reading a verse from the Bible to make some point. Everyone is of like mind. Most of the kids are the same religion. All are Christian. Try that in New York city and the teacher will lose their job. Why? because not all are Christian. Some may not believe in God at all. The parents of the non Christian children choose a public school so that their children would not be subjected to religious ideology. That right to an education free from religious content is violated at the mere mention of God. they argue that if the religious content comes from a teacher it becomes coercive in nature because of the position of respect the teacher holds over the student. This is where the big lawsuits are born.

The broader point is that in many districts there are strict anti religion policies in effect to protect the rights of a diverse community of beliefs. The version of the address obama read is an accepted version of the address and allows it's use in these schools. Schools that could face expensive legal action should they chose to the Under God version.

The sad fact is there are school districts that have been saddled with six figure legal bills over Christmas displays. Who can afford that?

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the man said "God", he said "God"! If he said "Mommy", he said "Mommy"! I don't care if Lincoln cussed, don't pretend to quote someone when you are just quoting a version you are personally happy with. If he cussed, then you cuss or at least tell your audience you aren't going to cuss. If you don't want to say "God", then don't bother reading any of it. Either that or, before you start reading, tell everyone you are going to read the version you like, not necessarily the one actually given.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE: The sad fact is there are school districts that have been saddled with six figure legal bills over Christmas displays. Who can afford that?
Then tell your students you are not going to teach real life or history. Tell them that, because you have to avoid lawsuits at all costs, you are going to make up a bunch of crap just so you can memorize it enough to pass a test that doesn't contain facts.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If the man said "God", he said "God"! If he said "Mommy", he said "Mommy"! I don't care if Lincoln cussed, don't pretend to quote someone when you are just quoting a version you are personally happy with. If he cussed, then you cuss or at least tell your audience you aren't going to cuss. If you don't want to say "God", then don't bother reading any of it. Either that or, before you start reading, tell everyone you are going to read the version you like, not necessarily the one actually given.

Thats the problem, packer...

Not one person who is crying over this has any proof that Obama chose to use this specific version.

Nothing more than conjecture and more likely wishful thinking.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok...this thread just went total bizarre.

anyone who was at Gettysburg at this time, and did not say "OH GOD" at least once was already dead...
just the stench of the place would have presidents and chambermaids swearing to god.
talk about focusing on the obscure to degrade history.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
QUOTE: The sad fact is there are school districts that have been saddled with six figure legal bills over Christmas displays. Who can afford that?
Then tell your students you are not going to teach real life or history. Tell them that, because you have to avoid lawsuits at all costs, you are going to make up a bunch of crap just so you can memorize it enough to pass a test that doesn't contain facts.

Just for the record pack, I pay some of the highest taxes in the country because our school district is one of the top school districts in the country. Our two High schools usually rank in the top 20 in the country. best ranking was 3rd. 98% plus go on to higher education. mostly college. And the drop out rate is non existent. So obviously our kids are learning what they need to learn. meanwhile our school board has done what is needed to keep us out of frivolous lawsuits so the money goes where it's needed. That is teaching.

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, are you saying that the students in this fanciful district are well trained sheep that probably have no idea of what history really is or what goes on around them in their present day?
if 2+2=5 then so be it. Glad you're getting your money's worth.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So, are you saying that the students in this fanciful district are well trained sheep that probably have no idea of what history really is or what goes on around them in their present day?

Packer that is ridiculous thing to say. You never cease to amaze me...

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:

Based on their top testing scores i'd say they have more than an idea of what history really is.

We leave teaching religion to the churches. Where it belongs. Sorry that that is such a foreign concept to you that you feel the need to lower yourself to taking cheap shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread