Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep mistaking the message with the messenger.

I posted my Gettysburg link before NJAL posted this link. I did so because i didn't want this important date to pass unnoticed.

There are two important differences in the threads.

1. My thread includes a wiki link that shows all the copies of the address. Including the one or two that leave out the under God phrase.

2. My thread was posted for the reason of honoring Lincoln. You can look at at NJAL's comment about Obama leaving out the under God and references to the Muslim brotherhood and make your own judgement as to why he started this thread.

That said, while i have posted the the reasons i was able to find on the net for obama's use of the copy he read, I personally have no problem with the use of the term under God. I also have no problem with schools or other public entities celebrating Christmas or using the term under God. I have a big problem when God becomes a determining factor in a government run facility. As in the principal of a school being a born again christian thus using his position to proselytize to the students. That doesn't go! past that, let her rip! We sometimes are just a little too PC.

As stated before .... it is the only one signed and dated by Lincoln and it is on display in the White House....

"It is the last known copy written by Lincoln and the only one signed and dated by him. Today it is on display at the Lincoln Room of the White House."

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/gettysburg.htm

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Last edited:

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either quote the speech recited by Lincoln at Gettysburg or don't bother...

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This school didn't have any problem with it. "UNDER GOD"

Again, the students can say 'God', they can even pray. They can't be led in prayer. And, religion of any kind can't come from the school without violating the separation of Church and State.

As for Obama's version of the address not containing the phrase under God, as posted he read the copy he was given by the producers of the video. It is my understanding that his version will be used in Public schools. Many public schools across our country are forbidden by local rules, regulations and laws from mentioning God. Because the address is to be used in schools across the country, this gives the producers a product that all schools can use. The copy Obama read is an excepted version of the address. it is no more, or no less valid than any other copy.

Personally, i like the under God versions myself, but I'm not the one shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce a documentary video.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cornell University's Copy

Cornell’s manuscript of the Gettysburg Address was written out by President Lincoln at the request of George Bancroft, the most famous historian of his day. On February 23, 1864 Bancroft attended a White House reception and asked Lincoln for a copy of the Gettysburg Address in his own handwriting. He explained that he was making the request for his stepson, Colonel Alexander Bliss. The Colonel was a member of a committee collecting manuscripts which were to be included in a lithographed volume of facsimiles entitled Autographed Leaves of Our Country's Authors, to be sold by the Baltimore Sanitary Fair. The Fair was to provide some assistance to soldiers, especially those ill in hospitals.

Lincoln agreed, and a week later he mailed a copy to the historian—the same day that he mailed another copy to Edward Everett, who had spoken with Lincoln at the dedication of the Gettysburg cemetery in November.

Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865. The Gettysburg Address. with: Autograph Letter Signed by Abraham Lincoln to George Bancroft. Washington D.C., Februrary 29, 1864.

One of only 5 known copies. Can be seen and read at link below and it contains God...

http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/gettysburg/good_cause/CU_copy.htm

gu4a8y8e.jpg

8a5yzezy.jpg

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
The unfortunate thing about this thread is - not only are Lincoln's great words of wisdom lost here. Words honoring the men and boys who gave everything for our freedom. This thread uses these words to impeach and disrespect our current president. That doesn't sit well with me. it shouldn't sit well with anyone.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep hearing they will put the BOs recital of the speech in schools around the country??? Why? What makes his rendition better than a junior bush or even a clinton? What is the real reason?
And where did he recite this speach?
Looks like further indoctrination to me!

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
TH no one is arguing that several copies exist. You can post the Bliss copy as much as you'd like. Historians all agree that no exact copy of the address exists. Lincoln himself is said to have made several drafts. So which one is the one you've posted? the first or the last? No one knows.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH no one is arguing that several copies exist. You can post the Bliss copy as much as you'd like. Historians all agree that no exact copy of the address exists. Lincoln himself is said to have made several drafts. So which one is the one you've posted? the first or the last? No one knows.

I posted the only known copy signed and dated by Lincoln and the only one on display in the Lincoln Room of the Whitehouse.

OP
OP
N

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The unfortunate thing about this thread is - not only are Lincoln's great words of wisdom lost here. Words honoring the men and boys who gave everything for our freedom. This thread uses these words to impeach and disrespect our current president. That doesn't sit well with me. it shouldn't sit well with anyone.

The words of wisdom were lost when barry picked the copy to read without the words " UNDER GOD "
in it to read. barry gives a rat's booty about our FREEDOM and even less about the men who died at Gettysburg.
I'm NOT sorry it doesn't sit well with you. It's nice of you to tell everyone else how they should feel about
this thread.

OP
OP
N

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker:

Our President read the version he was asked to read by the person producing the film - Ken Burns.

Your disrespect for our President and the office he holds isn't surprising - it's too bad, none the less.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Most people show respect to get respect.

Good luck to all,

The old njal :hello:

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Every single person arguing that Under God should have been included has missed the point entirely. You folks clearly have an agenda, you have a predisposition to hate Obama, and you make zero sense. You have been presented with very logical arguments as to why this is not a big deal. Every source used has been well reseasrched and thought out. Yet after all that, in post #50 you STILL say "The words of wisdom were lost when barry picked the copy to read without the words " UNDER GOD " in it to read". That tells me that we are wasting our time with posts #2 through #48 because you are just going to believe whatever you want to believe - regardless if that belief exists only in a fairy tale fantasy land.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its revealing the level of denial people are willing to engage in to try to support their political agenda. I posted that people are free to pray and discuss religion in public schools, and not only was that completely ignored, I was responded to as if I had said nothing of the kind. If reality doesn't support your agenda, what does that tell you?

OP
OP
N

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its revealing the level of denial people are willing to engage in to try to support their political agenda. I posted that people are free to pray and discuss religion in public schools, and not only was that completely ignored, I was responded to as if I had said nothing of the kind. If reality doesn't support your agenda, what does that tell you?

UncleMatt I messed up I meant to hit the N.F post sorry about that. :(
My bad. You mot certainly did post people are free to pray in schools.
I apologize.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every single person arguing that Under God should have been included has missed the point entirely. You folks clearly have an agenda, you have a predisposition to hate Obama, and you make zero sense. You have been presented with very logical arguments as to why this is not a big deal. Every source used has been well reseasrched and thought out. Yet after all that, in post #50 you STILL say "The words of wisdom were lost when barry picked the copy to read without the words " UNDER GOD " in it to read". That tells me that we are wasting our time with posts #2 through #48 because you are just going to believe whatever you want to believe - regardless if that belief exists only in a fairy tale fantasy land.

And why would he not read the only copy Lincoln ever signed and dated, the copy the newspapers at the time it was given was printed, and the only copy currently on display in the White House.

I don't buy he read the copy he was handed, like it was just given to him and told "read this."

Here is a copy of "Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper",*New York.

Printed on December 5, 1863. Leslie’s Weekly and Harpers Weekly are the 2 most famous And widely read News papers of the time. Both contain the word God in the address.

eza6a6a7.jpg

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
And why would he not read the only copy Lincoln ever signed and dated, the copy the newspapers at the time it was given was printed, and the only copy currently on display in the White House.

I don't buy he read the copy he was handed, like it was just given to him and told "read this."

It was actually aliens that came down and gave him the copy. Oops, that secret wasnt supposed to get out.

OP
OP
N

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

J.B. I observe actions and I don't like what I see with actions of this administration.
I don't believe for one min. that he just read what was handed to him.

The man has a problem with the ALMIGHTY. His words and behavior have shown this .

OP
OP
N

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was actually aliens that came down and gave him the copy. Oops, that secret wasnt supposed to get out.

Nah! his M.B. buds most likely, or maybe reggie love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread