yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a mess of things. Many large flakes (thought for a while it was going to be one of those 'flake days'...) then a couple of brokes, finally a whole triangle and some pottery-- plus a marble and a colonial pipe stem.

0427141405.jpg 0427141406.jpg Broken square knife? no-one will ever really know... alas. It's thin tho.

0427141610.jpg 0427141611.jpg

0427141611a.jpg Funny, misshapen flake tool/point

0427142015.jpg The day-on-a-plate picture.

0427142015a.jpg 0427142016.jpg

0427142016a.jpg 0427142016c.jpg

0427142017a.jpg This last one is a broken quartz knife (like a square knife/blade, but not...). Hard to see (and I have no better pics, sorry).

0427142017.jpg That's the best I could do down the edge.

Thanks for looking- and Happy Hunting! Yakker

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt and finds

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
I was also walking a river today. I found flint pieces in the water. But no luck finding the good stuff.. I think I would rather be in the plowed fields..

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having been skunked the last several times out, I'm very happy w/ the day. Thanks all! Yak (the broken little white point- and the bifurcated grey one- both would have been awesome points, as what remains is nicely knapped. A feature my phone/camera will not illustrate...)

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang pretty good yakker,i really like the funny mishappend one,and the little black one.thanks for sharing and be careful out there girl,or mam

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good day you had. Nice little triangle!

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interestingly (or not) that flake tool would have been a triangle- just broke one ear. The tip is heat-treated- and the 'crust' of the rock it was knapped from shows in the lower left ear. I've never found a flake triangle that well worked on just one side. The small black one has a platform 'bump-out' on the back side, and not as symmetrical as it could be, but what the heck. Yak

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Yak ! I too really like the grey bifurcated piece, seems like it would have been wider/broader than I would expect to see? The jasper flake triangle point with the "blood tip" is cool too. I am still trying to get comfortable in my own head about the heat treating done on some materials, and how to identify it. It appears that a sizable portion of the jasper cobble points and tools that we find around here will have the tip, or sometimes a corner, with the red color instead of the brown or mustard that the rest of the point shows. I assume this was due to the river cobbles first being put into a fire causing the outer cobble surface / rind/ cortex to turn darker or red. It appears that once they started reducing the cobble to make a tool or point that a conscious effort was often made to have this red and heat treated area end up on the tip of the point or tool? Is this pretty much the way you understand it too??

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Redbeard-
In fact, I haven't really discussed heat-treating w/ anyone. I did, however, read a number of old threads here on Tnet concerning heat treating in general, the various supposed reasons, etc. As a symbolic gesture- to have a red-tipped point, would seem very logical. Red seems to have universal appeal as a powerful color... I'll have to look that up. If I find a really good article, I'll post it. We don't talk much about heat-treating on this forum. Might be an interesting topic, no? Thanks for taking the time to reply! and thanks all! Yak

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread