previously hit lot yields some keepers

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
About a month ago I hit a small lot close to a train depot. Lots of wine bottle screw caps and shredded beer cans to content with. I was able to pull a single Wheat cent from that trip in March.

Today, I thought I'd give it another try. I had a couple of hours to blow and wasn't expecting much. To my surprise, some keepers started finding their way to the surface. It utterly blows me away how you can miss targets from a previous hunt.

I did do some small adjustments to the SE, but I doubt that would explain today's luck. I just adjusted sensitivity and went to manual. Coins were average depth for this time period (approximately 4 inches).

1919 Wheat (I think it's 1919.. barely readable)
1936 D Wheat
1944 D Wheat
1924 D Buffalo (date is badly worn, but can see it under magnification)
1936 D Buffalo
1943 S Jefferson (War Nickel!)
1941 S Mercury
1959 D Rosevelt

0423070002_opt.jpg

The ground wasn't too kind to the coins, but it was a fun bit of hunting for sure.

Thanks!
DB

Upvote 0
G

garbage digger

Well you must of made just the right adjustment :) WTG!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nice stuff. It is a little funny that you only found one wheat penny last time and then you get all this. I tend to search in a more methodical way(no wandering here) so this scenario would never happen to me. ;) :D

Bob

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Mirage said:
Nice stuff. It is a little funny that you only found one wheat penny last time and then you get all this. I tend to search in a more methodical way(no wandering here) so this scenario would never happen to me. ;) :D

Bob

Ha!

Yeah.. I hunt pretty methodically as well (even though it doesn't seem like it from previous hunt to this). I think I had my sensitivity jacked too high the first time, I remember I was having some stability issues with the SE, but it didn't seem 'bad'. The machine was rock solid stable yesterday after lowering it. It's a mystery that I missed so much.. just glad I followed myself.

DB

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Montana Jim said:
DB!! Love the silver! Congrats! :)

Thanks Montana Jim. Silver has been pretty dry for me as of late. Still need to get Barber #1 for 2007 under my belt. They're being very elusive this year.

DB

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, You should dip your detector in Wax or something so you don't mess up those settings. ;D Some how I got my detector to Discriminate out modern pennies and just find the wheat's the other day can't get it back.... Well haven't tried but I hope I can.

Anyway those silver finds look to be very nice.

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
fuji7083 said:
nice finds! ;D bad ground :-[

Definitely. This is the worse ground I've seen in my area for coins. Being close to the tracks.. who knows what kinds of chemicals and diesel has been spilt on top of these coins over the years.

Usually wheats hold up great, but the crust on these were horrible.

DB

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Its strange sometimes how you feel you are doing a great job and then you hit a spot again and bam!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions