Price help requested for ring

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 10K ring a few weeks or a month ago and it weighs .81 of a gram and the guy at the dive shop wants if for his young daughter. He cut me some slack on my wetsuit rental because I bought a wetsuit from him and I really don't want to charge him anything for it, but don't want to offend him by offering it for free. I thought I might offer to exchange it for a diver's flag I could mount on my sifter when I'm in the water up to my neck. Here's a photo of the ring and see what you think.
Gold & Silver - At the river 005 (Custom).jpg

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10k? I would give it to him for future good karma

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With gold at 1163.90 a troy ounce 10k is .417 times gold is 485.343 divided by 31.1 (grams in troy ounce) you get 15.6060$ a gram for 10k, times .81 grams you get $12.64 for the value of the gold content. Nice Find!!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it to him...why would he be offended? :dontknow:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. I would give it to him and tell him I hope his daughter enjoys it. I'm sure he'll remember that every time he sees your face come in. Remember the old saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know!"

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go into it with no agenda offering this gift is more rewarding internally then anything. But the dive flag trade is also a good notion, this way not only will there be no feelings of being taken advantage sorta speak, both will get a fair exchange. And really what's better then a human gesture of kindness. It's not like we as Detectorist don't find some amazing items beneath our coil while experiencing this amazing gift of life. Be safe

powered by pull tabs

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 10K ring a few weeks or a month ago and it weighs .81 of a gram and the guy at the dive shop wants if for his young daughter. He cut me some slack on my wetsuit rental because I bought a wetsuit from him and I really don't want to charge him anything for it, but don't want to offend him by offering it for free. I thought I might offer to exchange it for a diver's flag I could mount on my sifter when I'm in the water up to my neck. Here's a photo of the ring and see what you think.
View attachment 1078308

That’s a nice ring Fongu.

I would never melt down a ring like that for scrap
Nor sell/exchange (which is betta then melting it down) as what I find is worth more to me than what it cost, even new. Its highest and best value is as a gift (mo betta), with no expectations, as it will make all happy: you, the dive shop guy, and his daughter.

Not to steal your thread, but I would like to talk story about what happened more than thirty years ago, which is as clear to me today as when it happened.
We were returning to the mainland after visiting the Islands, and struck up a conversation with a graceful Hawaiian entertainer waiting for a shuttle flight. When it was our time to board, this gracious lady gave us a small puka shell lei worth hundreds of dollars as a gift to my infant daughter, for her to wear when she was old enough.
Needless to say, I was stunned and stammered we can’t accept that, but she just smiled and said, it is something I want your daughter to have, smiled greeting us with aloha, and left. I don’t know what happened to this lei, nor the entertainer, but it Is something I will never forget.
Decades later on driving past the airport on a dark night, I noticed a car pulled over on the side of the highway and it was noticeable that the lady driver was frantic. I slowly pulled up, to avoid spooking her and asked if I could help as there was a gas station a few miles down the road. On driving her to the gas station, the lady said she would rather go home (an area set aside for Hawaiians). When I told her I would be honored to take her at no cost, she started to apologize – as there now is some friction between Hawaiians and Haoles. I reassured her, that there is no reason to apologize as they have every reason to be upset for the way they have been treated. When she again insisted on reimbursing me, I thanked her and told her I would not accept anything, however, maybe someday she can help someone in her own way when they need help. I then told her about the entertainer and what a relief it was that I was finally able to return some of the Aloha I experienced decades ago.

I think that is how Karma works.
If you do something good, that good goes out,
But not necessarily back to you.

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.81 grams of 10kt = $12.67 as of 8:47 am est

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather just give it to him as a gift for his daughter, because they are good folks. I was just concerned he might take it the wrong way as a gift. Thanks for all your advice and help. Sir Gala Clad, I enjoyed that story and you understand the feeling some people have accepting gifts, but you did a great deal helping that stranded lady and showing courtesy and respect. Well done, sir...Think I will get it in the mail to him in the morning and wish I had a jeweler's box to put it in.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, give it to him. Some day when you go back into his shop to buy something, I'm thinking you will get a good deal.

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's on the way.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude it was free for u, make it free for someone else, u got exercise from finding it, so exercise some kindness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread