Price of Meteorite Glass

C

Cappy Z.

I am entertaining the idea of spending a lot of money on various chunks of meteorite glass from the Egyptian desert event 200,000 years ago. The reasoning is simple. The scarab on King Tutankhamen's medallion IS made from this impact debris. I feel in the near future I can make a good return on my investment. Here is a photo of a palm size chunk from Libya. It's price is $650.

Any ideas and/or opinions welcome...even naysayers.

HH

Attachments

• TutMeteoriteGlass1.jpg
    TutMeteoriteGlass1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,309

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I where looking to invest I'd look at opal or something similar which has a fairly high demand.
If you can get rough and have it cut and polished for a fair price you might earn a fair bit. :wink:

tektite is mostly not that expensive nor particularly desired I want to recall. (No high demand, except from collectors??)

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Spooky said:
The recent hysteria and sudden "coolness" of these objects as people see dollar signs will make ANY of these purchases a good investment.

Much like the media has done more to sell metal detectors in the last year than Kellyco EVER has..

I am curious, though. How would you keep from being ripped off?
How are these desert finds, or ANY meteor authenticated?

For a small fee, I'll authenticate one for you. :wink:

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it authentic, i know it exists, how different is that from beach glass from lightning strikes? hardness.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wholy agree with Eu_Citizen.

First I'd be leery of doing any business with Libya. Second I'd invest in metals whether they be gold silver or even copper. Way more market for metals than space glass needless to say the values of of metals are going to appreciate.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Cappy, I have no clue what that space glass should be, could be or is worth. It's like that ebay auction you had last month for that friend of yours. It's only going to be worth what someone is willing to give you for it when you decide to sell. I've been putting money into silver US Coins at melt value. Good or Bad investment? I have no idea but I'm doing it any way. Guess it all comes down to what it is that you want to do with your investment money. If it were me, I wouldn't do it. But I have been sorry for not investing in some things before and I'll most likely kick myself in the future for passing up a ground floor opportunity again. :dontknow:
Desertfox

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
CappyZ, you've posed the hardest question I've seen on TNet to date.

Authentic meteoritic material has gained dramatically in the last 20 years in value. Willamette Meteorite (37,500 lbs.) sold for $26,500 in 1906; in Oct. 2007 a 29.5-lb. piece of it was pulled because there were only 2 bids of $300,000 each, and the seller wanted $1.1-$1.3 million for it. Still $10,000+/lb!

True meteorites are among the rarest of rocks on earth. Anything meteorite-related item has been climbing too, unless it is from a massive strike that produced so much tonnage that all meteorite collectors already have a piece of it.

Desertfox is probably right: you know more about it than most other people. Go for it!

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Cappy, I can't even get even a dang badge authenticated. Then there are counterfeit GIA COA's.
How will you ever know if what you'll be getting is the real deal? And if it is the real deal of it's size why aren't the scientists falling all over it? And as an investment? Say the incident happened billions of years ago. Divide that by 650 bucks. WOuld that mean the value would go up .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% per century? ;D

BTW, whatever happened to that meteor ("volkswagon sized") some guy was hunting for? I think in the NE somewhere?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I think you may be referring to the 1400-pound Brenham Pallasite, found by Steve Arnold in October, 2005.

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Dunno. Thought it was in this last year or so. Some guy going door to door trying to trace it. What did you see. Where? About where in the sky? Volume of the the bang you heard. Volume of the thump you heard. From which direction did you say? COuld be wrong. I'll look when I have time.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
BloodyBelle said:
Dunno. Thought it was in this last year or so. Some guy going door to door trying to trace it. What did you see. Where? About where in the sky? Volume of the the bang you heard. Volume of the thump you heard. From which direction did you say? COuld be wrong. I'll look when I have time.
Brenham fall was recovered several feet (yards?) underground as I recall. Not a recent fall. Someone asking what you saw, where, location of stone in the sky and data about any sounds you heard indicates a much more recent fall.

Hmmm. Did you see/hear/feel anything recently? If you heard or felt an impact, you would have been within a few miles of the impact site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread