prices down because...

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I believe it is due to a surplus in the market. The olympics probably does not matter to the slave minders who run Chinas sweat shops.

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
aa is right from what I've seen in the fabrication trade mag., China is trying to hide the pollution problems and has shut down plants. They did alot of industrial re locations as they were building for the Olympics etc. It's been about three years so I'm a bit fuzzy on recall but I think that area had alot of steel and other dirty air industry that they moved out.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its so low here we took in a small load and only made $15 a piece so thats it until the price goes up

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Production orders, sales, consumer spending, fuel cost and commodity prices are all going to affect the scrap price. It's a good time to stock up on what you are able to

and some people just don't quite get it...

a friend's boss was stressed over fuel costs, and other over runs... walked outside into the yard to get away from the paperwork in the office... saw what he perceived to be a mess in the welding shop area and bounced back into the office, made a phone call, and GAVE AWAY much of his mild steel and cutoffs to a junkie.

"We gotta keep this place organized," were his only words to the guys in the shop.

Things happen fast!

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
Scrap metal prices are down mainly because the dollar on the currency markets is way up. It has more buying power but other foreign currencies have less as a result. And also as a result our scrap metal cost more to overseas buyers but we make less money. We are paid in dollars. This is also why the price of crude oil is falling rapidly. Here we get the benefit, cheaper gas. Now supply and demand are playing a part here. Copper supply is up for the most part so less demand and lower prices as it goes. The bad news is that this trend will probably continue so expect lower prices for sometime on scrap metals. Sorry!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread