Pride

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With hours left in our quail season I was quite pleased with the performance this morning of one of my dogs.

Pictures don't show how proud he was too. :icon_thumright:

last quail 018.JPG last quail 014.JPG last quail 005.JPG

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey is dat a Remington 1100 ?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does look like an 1100 REM. that's what I thought it was at first. Nice! birds and good shooting with a 20 gauge, that's all you need... Heck I'd get my limit of pheasants in Iowa with my first ever shotgun at age 13 with a Steven bolt action 20 gauge that was an old hand me down. That old bolt action was a great shooter, but I guess they ran their course and no one wants to be seen with those old post war relics anymore. Great Looking dog, no doubt he's a wonderful partner.

OP
OP
calisdad

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tamrock.
Trapper was actually born in Iowa, as was his brother Bodie. They turned 4 and 5 years old last week.
I never have shot a bolt action shotgun. Must have been a kick.

Handsome Brothers.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last bolt action shot guns marketed I think were the Marlin 12 & 10 gauge goose guns with a long barrel. I've seen them in the pawn shops for around $200. I think?. Its funny this one farmer that let me hunt on his property in "Iowa". Some times when I was hunting there a dog like your Bodie would come out and meet me in the field and work along side me. I asked the farmer if it was his dog and he said it wasn't. He said it lived a 1/2 mile away and if he wasn't out with his owner that day and herd a gun shot he'd just run on down and join in on any hunting going on. He was sweet dog and he would look down any direction I pointed my muzzle. I myself don't have the tenacity to work and train a dog in like that, but sure wish I did. I here you need to spend allot of time in training a good hunting dog? I just don't get out and do that kind of thing any more. Your dogs are truly wonderful and thank you for showing them.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing beats hunting with a good dog. Half the fun is watching the dog work; the other half is baking those quail in wild rice! I got my first 12 gauge when I was 13. It was a Mossberg with a adjustable hand choke. Wish I still had it for sentimental reasons. Didn't know it at the time but my Mom had hocked her favorite ring so she could buy me the gun for Christmas.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing beats hunting with a good dog. Half the fun is watching the dog work; the other half is baking those quail in wild rice! I got my first 12 gauge when I was 13. It was a Mossberg with a adjustable hand choke. Wish I still had it for sentimental reasons. Didn't know it at the time but my Mom had hocked her favorite ring so she could buy me the gun for Christmas.
Nothing beats a loving mother either. Talked to mine last night. 89 years old and still always has a good story to tell. The things she did for me I so didn't deserve.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking dogs!
I don't mind the hunting of game birds, but when I lived in Oklahoma I had to turn away a couple of hunters because they would follow the covies until they had killed every bird in the covey. And of course that meant no birds left to repopulate for the next year.

OP
OP
calisdad

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker- my 2nd shotgun was a Mossberg 20 gauge with an adjustable choke. I still have it. It was made for Montgomery Wards and I just walked in and bought it over the counter.

old digger- thanks. I'm kind of partial to them. ;-)

aa battery- Groveland is on Hwy 120 between Sonora and Mariposa, CA.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Calisdad,

Very nice dogs, I know the feeling, my avatar was cropped out of a newspaper article where my Plotts easily won the 1996 World Championship Team Hog Bay in Sabinal, Texas. That is my Pride face :laughing7:.

I am not a bird hunter, and have never owned a shotgun. One time a friend of mine asked me if we could shoot some dove in my place. He had been awarded a nice 12 gauge auto with his name engraved on it as a safety award from a drilling company. I told him I didn't have a shotgun, so he brought me a break over type single shot. We can both drive nails with regular rifles, but lacked experience with shot.

Talk about misses, he would empty his auto with three shells, and I would empty the single at the same bird. I gave him a hard time about his shooting disability, and he would remind me that I had also missed. I would grin at him, and tell him, "yeah, but I only missed once!" We ended up with enough for a good soup between the both of us.

Homar

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice looking dog.those are some of the best dogs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions