Print plate for label ?

salty dog

Aug 10, 2005
Southern Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Pro Pointer
I found what looks to be some sort of print plate at an old home site in an old section of town.
I found this in Mississippi but thought maybe someone from this site might have seen this being it has New Orleans, La. on it.
Part of the plate is missing, but what remains reads ;

K. A. Magruder
Some time ago my br
Liniment for rheumati
that I tried it for a bur
since used it for sore
knows no such word as
know what I would do
Wife of Hy. Saum
New Orleans, La.
None Genuine

The writing is backwards which makes me think it is a printing plate.
I posted a picture as is and a picture that I flipped so the words can be read easily.
Measures 2 inches by 1 1/4 inches, which makes me think it is for some kind of label.
Has anyone seen anything like this ?

Attachments

• print plate.jpg
    print plate.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 334
  • print plate fliped.jpg
    print plate fliped.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 327
  • print plate.jpg
    print plate.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 325
  • print plate fliped.jpg
    print plate fliped.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 315

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a piece of printing plate. My father was a printer and I saw stuff like this all my life.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Agreed. :thumbsup:

It's a fragment of a printing plate for a newspaper ad— very possibly for Sloan's Liniment, whose ads and labels often carried the words, "None Genuine without Portrait and Signature."

Is it like copper on the front, and maybe lead on the back? If so, it's what's called an electrotype, or "electro" for short. A wax impression is made of the set type. Next, the wax is treated with graphite and electroplated with copper. When the wax is removed, what's left is a thin copper shell which can serve as a printing plate. Usually, electros are backfilled with lead to give them added strength to stand up to the pressure of printing.

If it's solid, lead-like metal (type metal), then it was cast in a kind of thin papier mâché mold called a mat. The mat is created by impressing it upon set type while the papier mâché is still moist and pliable, then drying and curing it to withstand casting molten type metal into it. The mat would be sent to the local printer, who would then use it to cast a plate.

OP
OP
salty dog

salty dog

Aug 10, 2005
Southern Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Thanks Juanmoretime and PBK,
It seems to be made of a heavy metal that does not rust. Probably lead but seems harder than lead. There isn't any sign of copper.
What time period do you think this might be from?
I wish it would not have been broken.
Thanks for the feed back.

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is linotype metal and is harder that lead. The only way you could date this is by the ad itself. If you could find a similiar ad that would give you the time frame. Once priinting was achieved the plates, mats, etc. were remelted and reused to make more. Hope that helps.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions