Prism V

lakillian

Dec 29, 2006
Winfield, WV
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Prism V, Ace 250
I got this from my father for Christmas and I have used it about 6 times now. I have found about 3 dollars. EVERYTIME it hits 50 cent piece on the screen and I dig it is an alumninum can!!!! Can anyone tell me what is up with that?

Also can anyone tell me why when I pinpoint the item and it tells me 2 inches, I have to dig about 4 inches and the hole is the size of my coil? That big of a hole. Do you think it would be worth it for me to buy the Vibra-Phone 560? To pinpoint the item better so I don't dig such a big hole? And also does anyone know anything about a digging tool that will make a 9" deep plug? I think I need that!!

Thanks all and any tips you can give me on using my Prism V please let me know.

Oh and BTW my hubby and I decided I could get a DFX!!!

Lori

Delaware_Gopher

Dec 29, 2006
New Castle, Delaware
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V & Matrix M6
I bought a Prizm V the beginning of December 2006 after being away from the hobby for about 25 years. Man, how MDs have changed!

As far as detecting aluminum cans, one thing I've found if I get a strong signal is to lift the coil. If I still get a strong signal several inches from the surface than I can rule out a coin.

As far as pinpointing...this takes practice. I've gotten quite good pinpointing with my Prizm V. What is your sensitivity set at? If you are set too high this may not give an accurate pinpoint.

Best,
Brian

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X the target first to find close to center. Push the pinpoint button for all metal mode, use the VCO by pushing the multi-tone button. When the center of the hole in your coil is over the target the tone will be the strongest, and screamin' at a high pitch. Stick a golf tee in the ground right through the center of your coil. Switch back to motion mode and check the depth. Dig a hole. You shouldn't have to make it too big, then.

Spfld01

May 27, 2007
Springfield, Columbus Area
Detector(s) used
White Prizm v
I have had a problem with the depth also being wrong on my Prizm V I just bought mine this spring and have been out 3 to 4 times a week. I have found lots of Quarters, Dimes, and Penny's. Nothing old and nothing more then 6" to 7" deep.I have found no Nickles, Every time it shows a Nickle it ends up being a pull tap. I put my own ring in the sand at a beach and run the detector over it and it showed a Nickle. As far as the pin pointing goes , I think I have that down pretty good.
Just not sure about the false depth readings or a ring showing up as a Nickle.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
First of all a metal detector is not an x-ray machine. A pull tab, a nickel, and many gold rings "look" alike to ANY metal detector. This is because those items electric conductivity is similar. There's just no getting around it. If you want to find gold rings and nickels you HAVE to dig your share of pull tabs.
6"-7" is good depth for finding coins in "average" soil. Unless it's really soft earth even old coins will not reach any deeper. I've found Mercury dimes at 3". Also remember if your depth reading says 5" and you're swinging the coil 2" above the ground the actual depth will be 3". And when pinpointing you are now in all metal mode so any nearby trash targets will affect the pinpoint no matter where your disc is set at.
Bottom line is a metal detector is only a tool to help you locate metal objects. ALL metal objects. Like any thing else in life the more you work at it the better you get at it.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
Hi Lori!

My brother & I started metal detecting about 2 years ago and did not know which detector to buy. We decided to get a Prism V and were surprised at the things we found (and what people lost)!

Slow Sweeper is right. I have found coins 6-8" deep... once we dug a small metal cookie tin (thought it was a kid's cache) in the sand about 16" down. Not much was inside the tin. The depth readings have been pretty accurate for the objects we dug.

Have not had any troubles pinpointing, usually the object is found somewhere in the center hole of the coil. Pop cans usually give an overload signal and the gold rings we found showed up as nickel.

So far I have not had any problems with the Prism. The coins we have dug in 2 years have already paid for the detector and this is not including the jewelry. Keep using your detector, I have put in a lot of time and dug lots of holes (5000+...coins)!

Tom

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil
You need to be patient and take time to get used to the machine. 6 times isn't enough. Took me the first summer to learn my Prizm V and have been very happy. A lot of nickel signals are pop tabs. Some are nickels. Some are rings. Things will get better with experience (including pinpointing). :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread