Private home...circa 1900..my dreamsite!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Here is the story of my “DREAMSITE”

I began detecting toward the end of March, 2007. Once I started detecting with my trusty ACE 250 it was love at first swing. Soon I tired of digging holes in my own yard and I branched out to the neighboring schoolyards. As I traveled to and from a local elementary school I noticed a very large, old home for sale. “Wow, what an opportunity it would be to detect there,” I thought several times. But I never asked the realtor for permission and I forgot about the property till recently I hit the old elementary school again. This time I noticed “my” home was sold and that construction had already begun on half of the lot. When I went home that night I related the story to my husband, Joe, and he responded that we should stop by there the next day to speak with the builder for permission to detect.

Initially, the builder was hesitant Joe said but he kept schmoozing with him and eventually he said yes!!! Joe, who is not quite the addict I am about detecting, was just as anxious as I was to get started. So right after dinner, on Thursday, April 24th we started detecting “my dreamsite” as I have come to call it. We only got out for about an hour and a half that night but it was fruitful. The first find of the evening was made by Joe and was an Indian head penny!! We knew we had a great spot.

I knew that the last owners of the home were Anna and Peter Vogel but I was hoping to find who the previous owners were. I spoke with one of the plumbers who was working on the new construction at this site. He informed me that this was the summer home of Simon Gratz. Locals may know that name as there is a high school in Philadelphia named for him. I’m assuming it is the “Junior” Simon Gratz as the “Senior” would have died prior to the home being built! I pictured this woodsy area and thought it would be a nice summer location in the “country.” But the plumber said he had seen pictures of the home when it was new and there were no trees around it. He said he was lucky to find a 1865 nickel in the house itself.

Just a few days ago I was able to speak with the builder again to thank him for allowing us to detect this property. Up until a week ago, I hunted every possible evening or day that I was available. I would say that I have probably logged about 30 hours and Joe has probably detected about half of that time as well. Each time we have been there we have found keeper coins such as Indian head pennies, Mercury dimes, or Buffalo nickels. Now we ask ourselves, “When do we call it quits?” Well the house will come down soon so we know the time is limited. I think I will hunt till I come away empty handed. The finds are definitely slowing down but just recently I found a Buffalo and a Merc.

I am including a few pics but there are way to many to post. If you are interested in seeing everything, PM me with your email address and I will invite you to view the rest on Kodak's site.
Debby

Here are the totals so far:
COINS
135 Wheat Pennies 1910-1957
38 Memorial Pennies 1959-1991
10 Indian Head Pennies 1888-1909
7 Buffalo Nickels 1930-1937 (3 legible dates)
7 Silver Roosevelt Dimes 1917-1944
10 Roosevelt Dimes 1965-2000
11 Mercury dimes 1917-1944
1 Silver Washington Quarter 1936 S
2 Washington Quarters 1969-1971
5 Jefferson War Nickels (2) 1942 P, 1944 D, (2) 1945
11 Jefferson Nickels 1948-1975
6 Foreign coins: 1934 British Penny, 1946 Canadian Penny, 1955 Elizabeth II Regina from South Africa, 1976 Mexican 5 Centavo, 1 Centavo, Netherlands cent

Total of 244 Coins with a face value of $6.72, not including the foreign coins.

JEWELRY

1 10K Gold ring with blue stone, possibly topaz
I gold cufflink
2 silver rings, 1 possibly amethyst and 1 possibly jade
1 milk bottle charm
1 heart charm
1 foreign “coin” charm “1900 Reiche Streitern” with flying dragon ?
1 Onized credit union employee pin
1 penguin pin
1 Brass airplane pin (USAF)
Pieces of a bracelet, looks brass

TOKENS

James Madison, 4th president
Cup Company, Brooklyn NY
Unknown
4 Transit tokens (Delaware Coach, Phila. PRT, South Penna Bus Co, NYC Transit)

TOYS

2 Horses, 1 black and 1 brown
9 people figures, 1 very nice businessman, others broken
1 rabbit
1 dog
1 unknown
1 marble
1 jack

MISCELLANEOUS
10 Misc. Buttons (2 look military)
4 Keys
2 Locks
1 silverplate spoon
1973 Delaware County Tag (dog?)
1 pocket knife
1 sinker
Many various bullets

Attachments

• bestkershaw.jpg
    bestkershaw.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,930
  • 100_1572.JPG
    100_1572.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,936
  • 100_1585.JPG
    100_1585.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,940
  • 100_1577.JPG
    100_1577.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,922
Upvote 0

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Hi there. Wow, you really have found many great items at that site! Maybe you can help me out a little. My home is also like the one you are hunting. MY historical marker on my home says 1911, but that is not correct. The water works here issues these signs, and they dated the year water was run. The house is really the late end of the 1890's.

OK, so I have found an 1897 Barber quarter, and a silver ring. The rest is just all new clad. I'm still new at this but I get so many trash tones, they are everywhere!! My reading shows it's iron or foil. I have dug some but no luck, just trash. I am running low to no disc. and most of the time sensitivity is pretty high. This site HAS to have old coins and relics, especially since I found the Barber 3'' down in the front yard!! Any tips for a newbie with high hopes for this site?? ???

OP
OP
cntrydncr1

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Wow you are lucky! Just keep digging everything. Old nails can mask the signals of other stuff. Hunt right after a soaking rain too. Hit if from every direction and move slowly. you are right, there has to be much more old stuff.

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
cntrydncr1 said:
Wow you are lucky! Just keep digging everything. Old nails can mask the signals of other stuff. Hunt right after a soaking rain too. Hit if from every direction and move slowly. you are right, there has to be much more old stuff.

Hey thanks. Do you think I should keep the disc off and check even all the trash tones, because i pick them up almost every swing?

OP
OP
cntrydncr1

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
as little descrimination as you can and dig everything!!! My barber dimes I thought were trash...bouncy signals!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds Debby, I personally feel this is banner worthy, but we'll see how the mods feel.. you have done fantastic for sure and a inspiration for all newbies as well.

OP
OP
cntrydncr1

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Well thanks for the kudos but banner..no..too much great stuff on this forum. But to the newbies...I've only been hunting just over a year so keep digging!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Debby!

I wish I had the nerve to walk up to strangers like you did! Congrats!!!!!
:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

dugdigger

Mar 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & fisher 1265
that's what dreams are made of .great finds thanks for sharing

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible haul Deb! Way too go!! Thanks for sharing

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! you are quite lucky to find all that at one site! Good thing that you asked or those treasures would have been lost forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread