PRIVATE Property

SLY22

Sep 10, 2012
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how do you guys/gals go about negotiating a search on someones property? mainly i would like to know if you offer them 50% of the find 30% of the find??? i have a area near me that has TONS of homes ranging from late 1800's to early 1900's construction. some with large lots and others with very small, that i have no doubt hold old coins.
thanks in advance!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply go up to the property owner and ask. Vacant lot? Check the tax rolls and look up the owner or send a letter. Private property MUST be respected. Whether or not they have keep out signs, it belongs to someone who has a right to expect privacy, as you and I would. Remember, we (as a group) are only as good as the last time we screw up! TTC

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sly Welcome to the forum if I missed your first post. Best thing to do is find a local club in your area if non then go get some cards printed up that has your information on it and and the rules you follow by when you detect on private property. This will give the owner a reference to show you are professional about the work you do.

When you negotiate a split I start out with a 70/30 split. If the owner retorts then I am more then happy to oblige with what terms they are looking for. I also notify them that if its a really really big find that I will let them renegotiate the terms based on the amount of money the item is worth. Keep in mind your a guest and it is their property. Without their permission you wouldnt find anything anyway. I always start out a conversation with who I am and what I am looking to do and any interest points on the property that I see. Sometimes if you get the owner talking in detail about it this will open up the can of a negotiations.

Im always really nice and be very professional with your delivery and your appearance. Like I said having some sort of a club or society affiliation will always bode well in your favor.

James

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start off with just asking permission and no mention of split. I have found I get access many times with no mention of a split by just being polite and telling them I will remove all trash I find..(free labor)..."Sir I enjoy looking to see what I might find, sometimes I find old pennies). You start off talking about a split they think there might be something really valuable when most times there is not.

OP
OP
S

SLY22

Sep 10, 2012
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all of this help! thank you for the info! detector arrives tomorrow as does my new hobby and adventure! ill keep you all posted on my first finds good or bad

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Start off with just asking permission and no mention of split. I have found I get access many times with no mention of a split by just being polite and telling them I will remove all trash I find..(free labor)..."Sir I enjoy looking to see what I might find, sometimes I find old pennies). You start off talking about a split they think there might be something really valuable when most times there is not.

Yep, this is they way I go. Good point on trash and valuables there TH.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never agreed to a split nor have I mentioned it. I thanked one of the first land owners that has ever asked me for a split a couple of weeks ago but declined to hunt it. I try to always give the land owner some of what I find after the fact. Human nature is gonna make the land owner cherry pick your finds if you offer. It is usually a "go ahead" or "no" proposition. I seldom get refused but guarantee the person will take part of the split if you offer. I always try to do right by the land owner in anyway possible and never ever try to deceive them about what I am doing. Have made some really great friends with the land owners I have met and picked up several new deer hunting spots just this year. One of the owners loves squirrel but no longer able to hunt so I gave him some from my freezer and plan on hooking him up with some more in the coming weeks as I enjoy squirrel hunting while I deer scout. Best of Luck:icon_thumleft:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
When we do private property we don't mention a split, if we get permission we keep what we find. Nobody has ever even asked about getting their share.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well here I go again, against the grain! ALWAYS SET THE SPLIT BEFORE YOU HUNT! Here's the reason. Just suppose you find a small box filled with gold coins. The land owner is the only one that has a legal right to them, Unless you have set a split in advance. Have you ever heard the expression " THEY ARE MINE". I guarentee you will if you have not set a split. I have found items in yards worth THOUSANDS, and had no problem because I worked out a split before hand. Think about it!! Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 294

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Well here I go again, against the grain! ALWAYS SET THE SPLIT BEFORE YOU HUNT! Here's the reason. Just suppose you find a small box filled with gold coins. The land owner is the only one that has a legal right to them, Unless you have set a split in advance. Have you ever heard the expression " THEY ARE MINE". I guarentee you will if you have not set a split. I have found items in yards worth THOUSANDS, and had no problem because I worked out a split before hand. Think about it!! Frank

If I get permission to detect somewhere I do it and leave. I don't announce what I've found nor has anyone ever asked to see what I've found. Just thank them and go on your way.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Frankn said:

Thousands. Yes thousands.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am lost :icon_scratch:.....if you split you will more than likely have to sell. Especially if it were a few common coins and a valuable ring. That is not what I do it for. Yes, I have sold finds but prefer that to be my choice........ KISS theory:-*. Keep it simple stupid ( not directed at anyone ). If they let you hunt then hunt if they say no go on to another place. Be honest and enjoy your finds. Just my 2 cents and I am keeping them both.:evil6:

OP
OP
S

SLY22

Sep 10, 2012
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have decided to just ask for permission to search. seems to be easier to ask and keep what you find than to figure out what the fair breakdown would be. as of now i have what seems like a endless list of locations to try. after i have exhausted all those options, then ill consider introducing a share in the findings.
but hey lets not put the carriage before the horse!!! i havent even received my MD yet. i could be the worst to ever MD and not even find anything! hahaha

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
ticm, there you go again! A little over $3000 to be specific. Why are you such a "Doubting Thomas"?

Others, This was found on a 50/50 split. The owner followed me around, even did some of the digging.

Ruby set in gold. very old ring.

Attachments

• ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 119

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Frankn said:
ticm, there you go again! A little over $3000 to be specific. Why are you such a "Doubting Thomas"?

Others, This was found on a 50/50 split. The owner followed me around, even did some of the digging.

Please don't resort to name calling. It's against forum rules.

image-1402247235.jpg

Very valuable treasure chest.

Last edited:

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We always offer 50/50. Its the best way. Most people are honest and some will cheat you if you find anything. We just try to be philosophical about it.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Dixiegal said:
We always offer 50/50. Its the best way. Most people are honest and some will cheat you if you find anything. We just try to be philosophical about it.

That's as fair as you can get if you have to agree to sharing your finds.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost a year in now, and I haven't mentioned a split, and not asked. Had property owners ask me to look for certain lost items. One asked if we could locate broken property markers on a lot he was clearing. Its a situational thing everyone. Could be difficult to approach a owner after you find gold pieces on his property. To show them at least. I'd love to and look forward to handing over a family treasure to any family member. OF VALUE OR NOT. A sterling cross was my first silver, last november at a playground. Before liberating it from the ground, I was hoping for some inscription. There was none. I asked the park superintendant. She said no one had mentioned anthing lost. Sort of bothered me for a while. So I gave it to my niece. Made it much better. But then again....... A friend a few months ago dug a huge class ring at a spot of mine. A 10k 1989 Brother Martin HS / with initials! A month later she handed it to the young man who's girlfriend had dropped it. During an arguement perhaps.( So she probably threw it! LOL). I though the return was so cool. But I remember telling her then, I wanted the 1949, 14 or 18 karet with no inscription! Would make it easier to- smelt. LOL
When I get there, I'll pause and ponder.
Joking about the smelt crack, ya'll. Least till after November, if ya know what I mean.
HH Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions