Private yard yeilds nice Finds

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi guys, Got the chance to hunt a private yard today. My dad is working on a friends house and told me he was ripping out a 100 yr old bathroom. That instantly sparked my curiosity to know if the place had a yard and if I could detect it.

He called me last night with the go ahead. I got there today and looked at the house. I determined it to be 75 to 100 yrs old. It had a really small front yard and a back yard about 20' by 20'. I started to hit the front yard and figured what the heck. I have found stuff in smaller area's. Almost instantly clad, wheat's and garbage was turning up. The yard had life. When I just about felt the front was good I dug up a 1964 washington. The good part was I didn't even get to the back of the house yet and figured if the front was live the back would be to.

When I got around back it didn't look to promising. The yard had a slight downgrade and wouldn't of have been suitable for picnics or gatherings. There was a alley at the end of the yard with a pair of steps leading up to the back yard from the alley. I started to hunt and was finding clad and wheat's again. It was a good sign. The soil was really bad it was all clay with sandstone mixed in it. But it was natural. I then found washington number 2 a 1946. I then figured if they lost quarters there had to be a few dimes around. It was just a matter of time and I found a 1963 and a 1953 silver dimes.

I just about had the yard hit to were I felt it was about clean. As I was hunting I walked through a section at the bottom of the yard were the alley meets the yard and realized it was to trashy to hunt. Due to that was were the trash had been put for many of years for the garbage men. I decided to slow down I got nothing to lose and see if I can go in between all the trash and hit something. I got a good solid quarter reading on the dfx locked on it and it said 2.5 inches deep. I cut a plug and saw what I thought was a keneddy half because it would have fit the time period of the other coins I was finding.

I bent down picked it up and realized I had a large cent. I was very shocked to turn this coin up here. The area is old but all the homes around date to the turn of the century. I sat back for a minute and just wondered who lost this here. Why is this here and how did it get here when this coin out dates these homes by 100 yrs I would say. I could see finding a coin 30 40 years older than a site but 100 yrs. I continued to hunt for a little bit and had to get home and clean this baby up.

It turned out to be a 1825 large cent. The oldest coin I have dug in my short detecting life. The first large cent I found with the dfx but my second one total in 5 yrs of hunting or so. The moral of this story is that you never know what you might find in a place you least expect it. Never look a area over due to the looks either. Looks can be very deceiving. I have found some really great treasure in places you will never know how it got there. My guess on the large cent is either it was lost in the 20S or 30S. Not likely I wouldn't think. Or there was a older dwelling on the property long before the neighborhood was established. That is very possible due to how old my state and city is. Or it was just simply thrown up onto the banks of these yards when they made the dirt alley into a paved alley. I guess I'll never know. I also found 10 wheat's one was a 1913 D and the rest from the 40S and 50S. It took me only 1.5 hrs to find this all.

All in all it was a really good day of detecting then it turned into a great day when that large cent poped up.Hope you guys like the picks and story. Took me a good bit of time today to write this clean the finds and scan them. You all are a good bunch of people in here so I like to share my finds and experiences with you all.

Good luck to all. Just keep perservering and you shall find what your looking for. HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Private Yard 7.jpg
    Private Yard 7.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 554
Upvote 0

TOWcritter

Nice work. Bet that large cent made your day! You say you have a DFX. I just got a 5" excellerator for my MXT. It works GREAT for trashy areas. I found 3X the stuff I normally do in 1/2 the time, even though I slowed up on my sweep speed. Congrats! I would hit it again and spend some more time there.

F

Floater

That is one great yard. Congratulations Jerdfx, That Large cent is nice and the silver is great too.Nice move around the trashy stuff.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Do you use a scanner for your pics?? There great, but you sure bust go through scanners with all those finds against the glass. lol

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
Thanks for the post Jeremy and Congrats on the large cent. What a terrific find. I always look forward to seeing your posts, you don't go into this hobby halfway. You are one determined treasure hunter and you have the finds to prove it.

M

mattjd

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That large sent looks like it has some nice detail. I was about to cry when I seen that large cent. Let me say those are some really nice coins and all found in 1.5 hours. Wow! That's rare that you'll find a coin that's 100 years older than the site your detecting. I'm going to include a website I use for finding out how old houses are for you to check out in the next PM I send you.?I'll send you one tomorrow (04/01/05) at like 5 in the afternoon. ? ? ? ? ?Matt

M

mtl-huntr

Great finds can't wait till Saturday......I really like the cold water faucet handle

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Pirate, I thought about that to. That maybe that dirt was hauled in from some were old years ago and I just happened to get lucky and be at the right spot at the right time. It was the type of soil you find after you get through the black top soil. Looked like the whole yard almost had dirt from somewere else put there. Although it was many of years ago that it may have happened. Stuff was still lost in the time it was dumped there also. Glad I was there and it's going to be hard to top that one in the date category for me. I'll find one older but it will be some time before I do.

HH Jer

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. It could also be that the large cent was just flat lost 60 or 70 years ago there before they were doing the building. Just MHO.

D

Darod

Great story!

I appreciate all the time you put into it and I'm sure everyone else here appreciates it as well!

You really made some superb finds in that small yard! Obviously, it was a virgin site! Your a lucky guy to get that sort of opportunatey!

Just my thoughts on this,......If it were me, I'd go over the entire yard at least once more, mayby two or three times more. I bet you'll be shocked at what you didn't get the first time!

Great story and digs!

Keep us posted if you go back for a second or third round! :)

Rod

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great story & great digs...
It's not every day an oldie like that pops up, Great job.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, I learned that the house I was hunting was only built in 1932. That coin is over 100 yrs older than the site. I guess it may have been lost in the late 20S or 30S but it makes me wonder how many large cents were still in circulation at the time. You would think a coin over a 100 yrs old may have been put to the side due to it not being seen in circulation that much. That may have been the case and turned into some kids pocket piece. I guess somethings we will never know. It's fun to sit and think of the possibilities of how that one got where I found it.

Thanks again for the replies guys. HH Jer

ruck

Mar 5, 2005
Mansfield,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Numerous
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds,And I'd defenitly check that sight out again!
Especially the trashy area. HH

Ruck

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
While you guys were mentioning fill dirt it reminded me of how my gramps got his swamp land filled in. The dirt was trucked to him by the county or town boys. It was the dirt from cleaning out the ditches on my gramps road. The roads name has changed some years back but all that fill came in from the sides of the old military road. The road pre-dates the town which was created in 1801. I believe it goes back to the french and indian war. I very well might be digging up military treasures from the 1700's in a yard that wasn't created until the late 1940's. 1,000's of troops marched up and down that road and camped close by for several years. Its there I just gotta find it. Maybe you should look up the oldest houses on the block and look for the best lawns out of those properties. Swiz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions