Privy Help part 2

coled18

Greenie
Dec 26, 2023
Hello!

I just got some amazing permissions last weekend, and permission to go back as I want to. A 52 room hotel (that had a sewage system), the foundations of a doctors house and boarding house, and the remains of several old store fronts and a doctors office, all of these places were built and discontinued in the 1900s-1910s. Only used for about 10 or 15 years.

I probed the field behind the store fronts for several hours, but couldn’t find a pit to save my life. Lots of wet clay ish dirt. Was it common for general stores and whatnot to have outhouses? Did they have trash pits?

I’m gonna go to the boarding house and doctors house foundations next weekend; If anyone is in the south Texas area and wants to join let me know! I could use more hands.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... If anyone is in the south Texas area and wants to join let me know! I could use more hands...
tn_metal_detector.gif
You might consider posting your plans on FORUM: TEXAS for additional exposure...

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like fun, if I was near you I'd be all over it!
Man Texas is a long way from my house . So I can't go But if you find any of the places you are hoping to find you will probably have some items to take pictures of II that is the case be sure To post some of them here so we can all see how you made out good luck

OP
OP
C

coled18

Greenie
Dec 26, 2023
Man Texas is a long way from my house . So I can't go But if you find any of the places you are hoping to find you will probably have some items to take pictures of II that is the case be sure To post some of them here so we can all see how you made out good luck
Well, I hit up several spots and found out this town had sewage pipes when these buildings were made. Some of the places had dumps, however the dumps were dispersed by flooding. Behind an old doctors house I started finding a trail of 1880s-1920s bottle pieces and whatnot that led to an area that would’ve held water. Got some pictures of the complete ones, I’ll be back next weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0676.jpeg
    IMG_0676.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0678.jpeg
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coled18

Greenie
Dec 26, 2023
Well, I hit up several spots and found out this town had been sewage when these buildings were made. Some of the places had dumps, however the dumps were dispersed by flooding. Behind an old doctors house I started finding a trail of 1880s-1920s bottle pieces and whatnot that led to an area that would’ve held water. Got some pictures of the complete ones, I’ll be back next weekend!
I would’ve been totally happy with just the first eye water. The Antiseptic really made my day though, see the Advertisement from 1895.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
C

coled18

Greenie
Dec 26, 2023
Some real nice old items you returned with Any time I can find an embossed bottle from the 1880's to 1910.s era I am probably smiling
Same here! One of my favorite bottles to find for sure. They had so much art and unique detail back then.

Each of these bottles had such unique history too. Dr Tichenor was a civil war surgeon for the confederacy but became famous because he used antiseptic (carbolic acid) during surgery to prevent infection. I found this bottle behind a confederate surgeons house, likely a colleague of Dr Tichenor.

Antiseptic was new concept, having been only practiced for about 10 years prior. Dr Tichenors surgeries were so successful that his colleagues persuaded him to produce bottled antiseptic, which consisted of mint and alcohol. His antiseptic stopped producing under the Sherrhouse Co and was bottled under its own name in 1905.

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're finding the bottles than your definitely in the right place. Love the old advertisement! Thanks for posting.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I just got some amazing permissions last weekend, and permission to go back as I want to. A 52 room hotel (that had a sewage system), the foundations of a doctors house and boarding house, and the remains of several old store fronts and a doctors office, all of these places were built and discontinued in the 1900s-1910s. Only used for about 10 or 15 years.

I probed the field behind the store fronts for several hours, but couldn’t find a pit to save my life. Lots of wet clay ish dirt. Was it common for general stores and whatnot to have outhouses? Did they have trash pits?

I’m gonna go to the boarding house and doctors house foundations next weekend; If anyone is in the south Texas area and wants to join let me know! I could use more hands.
You mention the civil war doctors and their use of antiseptic And how important the whole idea of keeping the wounds clean and free of germs became a prominent part of medicine at that time And that is why I like that era in history It captures My imagination as far as how medicine was practiced and the conditions that had to be endured during the heat of the battle And all those embossed medicine bottles are a written history book about that time period

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread