412.5 KB · Views: 270

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use a generator and shop fan, position your generator several feet away from your fan.The fan can pick up generator exhaust and blow it in the hole. Not good! Also, if you are in the hole a while and start to get gigglely or stoned feeling, GET OUT. Definate sign of low oxygen. Do take a helper that will stay outside to moniter. steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ohiowhiteguy

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for your input..so it looks like i will need scuba gear,a canary.a rare earth magnet.a candle.a generator and a fan.am i forgetting anything?
i was thinking about going to the labor pool and get a few workers at 10 dollars an hour. sounds cheaper..lol
anyway i do think i'll be digging it out next when the weather allows. the site is on top of a large hill. and it is dry as a bone in it. doesn't look deep at all.
i will bring someone (redcardhack) with me and will post results.
thanks again.
owg.

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it isn't all that deep just take a short length of garden hose for a breather tube in case the air is bad and then tied a piece of rope around your waist in case Redcardhack has to pull you out, a lot cheaper and you won't even have to pay minimum wage!!:happy3:

Upvote 0

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not so sure it is a cistern, with no mortar joints I don't see much water staying in it and it did appear to be dry, But we will find out once YOU go in it and start rooting around. I'll bring a snorkel in case you need it!! RCH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ohiowhiteguy

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whooo there red...i already signed you up for first in the hole.did you forget?
i rented a generator bought a fan and borrowed a canary..and stole some scuba gear just for you..
owg..

Upvote 0

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it wasn't snow covered today we could have sent my grandson in first, he is pretty nimble for a 6 year old!!

Upvote 0

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a strong rope with a magnet and go fishing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ohiowhiteguy

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it wasn't snow covered today we could have sent my grandson in first, he is pretty nimble for a 6 year old!!
really? never thought of that...hope his mom won't get mad at us..he's not the fat little kid i saw when i picked you up is he?
owg...

Upvote 0

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus

Even though the folks from PETA might object, I think the the canary option is the better option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you check the ground too so it is not any sinkhole or quicksand type of soil. Remember your putting up to 150+ pounds of weight (unless your one really skinny dude) I been in worse holes then this one before but never needed any scuba gear but always make sure you bring a stick with you too check the soil before you step onto it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ohiowhiteguy

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you check the ground too so it is not any sinkhole or quicksand type of soil. Remember your putting up to 150+ pounds of weight (unless your one really skinny dude) I been in worse holes then this one before but never needed any scuba gear but always make sure you bring a stick with you too check the soil before you step onto it!
your right.hutsitedigger i was thinking about bringing a long prob. with me..it looks solid but you never know.
thx.
owg.
would you bring a screen to sift? i was thinking my detector would find the good stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Looks like a cistern to me. The overflow pipe is an inlet pipe to let water from guttering off of a house into it. Also looks filled in.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OWG, Personally I wouldn't do it, but that's me. If you two decide to 'test the waters,' I'd certainly have a nylon rope (or two) tied to terraferma. Good Luck! :) Breezie

Upvote 0

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a cistern to me. The overflow pipe is an inlet pipe to let water from guttering off of a house into it. Also looks filled in.

The pipe comes from an area away from where the old foundation is, (the rock walls in the photos), It is only filled in with what appears to be debris from the old house.

Upvote 0

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really? never thought of that...hope his mom won't get mad at us..he's not the fat little kid i saw when i picked you up is he?
owg...
OWG, The "fat kid" was some kid selling candy.

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Y'all be careful but Im waiting with bated breath(whatever that means) to see if there's anything to it.

Upvote 0

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know we have an old cistern in our yard and as we are sorta a fun house type business the hubby has but a metal grate over it along with a light and the legs of a mannequin at the bottom for a display. He has fashioned a very creepy looking ladder on it so he can go down and fix the light if he has to. I am thinking now I need to have him go in there at least with my pin pointer and poke around. I have seen (and sadly smelled) the raccoon that died in there and we get wolf spiders the size of your palm so not so sure I am interested in going in there. If I can get him to do this I will start another thread rather than hijacking yours =P

Looking forward to hearing of your descent!!!

Upvote 0

Remus

Greenie
Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting to say the least.. I used to help in the family biz, installing septic systems. Drywells and septic tanks ( from 1950's into the 1970's), long before all the newer laws took over septic systems we used to know. This may be an older, 'dried up' dry well. The place where all the 'stuff' from your septic tank goes. When the liquid from the septic tanks raises to a certain height, and reaches the overflow pipe lin the septic tank, it drains into the drywell and then stays in the drywell and seeps into the soil through the stacked rock walls. That pipe hole in the wall might be an overflow pipe from the drywell and runs in tile across the field, draining from perferated pipe or tile into the soil. In any case if this is as old as it looks, there would be no danger of gasses... the items you find (other than snakes and rodents) would be safe to handle as long as you wear gloves. The old 'waste' would have been cleansed by time. We used to find tons of goodies in the old, unused outhouse holes!.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread