Prizm V needs service?

tish

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
I went out detecting today and discovered that my Prizm V isn't detecting like Madmardigan's PrizmII. Well, we knew that since I always seem to clear the nails and iron out of the sites we visit and I was just chalking it up to needing to "pay my dues" and go out hunting more. Today he had a real nifty find (I hope he posts it under today's finds, so I won't spoil it here...) He tossed the silver on the ground and behold my PrizmV didn't read it as anything other than a few bounces between iron and I think it hit pulltab and went back to iron. Frustrating. :'(

I have not found much other than iron and nails in the last several months. I have found plenty of neat old square nails. I found one silver spoon, a clad dime, and probably 5 or so pennies post-1934. One of the more unique things I have found was an oil filter ;D

I purchased the detector used, approximately 2 months old for a really good price. It still has more than a year remaining on the warranty, and it has been transferred over to me. If I can't get it straight, I guess it needs to be sent in for repairs. I haven't banged it around. I've taken care of it except for leaving it in the car for extended periods.

On the positive side, it did force me around to finally joining the site instead of continuing to lurk :)

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Tish's detector is almost acting as if the discrimination is wrong. All the nails ring up with nice tones as cent/bottlecap/ring while the coins don't register at all with the "power on" discrimination settings. Strange.

just curious, does the V need to be ground balanced before use? I do not think it does but I'm not sure.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
contact whites repair facility, if they're is something wrong they can fix it pretty quickly

OP
OP
tish

tish

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
I emailed the closest repair center. Turns out there's one only a 2.5 hour drive from my house. I was just hoping for some nifty troubleshooting idea that we hadn't thought of yet. I've disconnected and reconnected the cables. Hopefully they will either tell me what to do or I'll send it in. Bummer that I already have issues.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
whites customer service is one of the best in the business. they will hook you up. ;)

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
Hey tish,

Try this.

When the detector is on, unplug the batteries (called a reboot). Wait a few seconds then reconnect the batteries. This causes the detector to boot back to original factory specs. I've done this a few times. Works like a champ.

If this doesn't work for you, I'd contact Whites like the rest of these folks said. It's probably something a little more serious. HH ;D

OP
OP
tish

tish

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
cool! I was hoping for a trick like that... I'll give it a try.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
tish

tish

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
In between rain I got outside yesterday and tried out the detector before popping out the batteries while it was on. I now wish I'd tested it a little more thouroughly last weekend. Last weeked I just tested with the Reale on the ground and then compared other signals to MadMardigans on his Prism. Mine was definitely wonky. I unplugged the coil cable, it looked ok, plugged it back in. it still seemed wonky. Yesterday I tossed a penny and a quarter on the ground and it worked fine. Do I need to bury them to test properly? Maybe my detector isn't happy staying in the car in the cold (not real cold but 40s)? The last several days it's been sitting in the living room. Not sure what else could be different. oi.

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
tish,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. It was worth a shot. I'd just take in and let the techs work on it. Anyway, have a great New Year and HH. :)

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Sounds like it may need a visit to the White's Repair Center. Here is the info for Whites Repairs:
Whites:

Repairs: 1-888-645-0202, Hours are 10 AM to 5 PM (Eastern) Tuesday through Saturday.
Centerville Electronics
10063 Wellington Road
Manassas, VA 20110

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread