Probably an old sewer pipe, but maybe a swivel gun ?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this gem a few days ago at the site I have been frequenting...
I almost tossed it into a dumpster at the boat ramp...
swivel.jpg iron pipe 013.JPG iron pipe 015.JPG

It is 1325mm long with a slightly tapering OD...the inside "bore" is approximately 32mm...

I still think it is probably trash, but there is just no doubt that it purposely flares at the end and tapers slightly...and BOY is it heavy...
Then I got to looking at these:

swivel gun 1250mm, 35mm bore.png swivel gun 1220mm long, 128mm external bore, 55mm internal bore.jpg

The gun on the left is 1250mm long with a bore of 35mm...
The one on the right 1200mm long with a 55mm

Swivel guns were used extensively in the area on patrol and raiding boats, both by the Spanish and the English...
Any chance it is one ?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Drop it in an electrolytic bath and report back to us in a few months.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting.... cook it slowly. I am preparing a small post-1900 to 1930's anchor found off Miami and given to me by a diving friend. I started working on it with ospho to stop excessive corrosion. Now, I acquired a large enough plastic container to cook it. I will post a pix of the setup when I get it ready, but none too soon as my time is limited. I prefer to use PH (up) as a reacting agent, because I have gotten nice results with it while cooking smaller iron artifacts.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Use sodium carbonate-Arm and Hammer washing soda in the clothes washing section of your supermarket as the electrolyte in your reverse electrolysis set up. About 1/2 a cup per gallon is good. Never use table salt or lye.

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping for some positive reenforcement before I went to the trouble of building or buying a vat to put it in, LOL. You guys are right, though. There is just no other way to know...the thing is so rotten at this point that even light chipping breaks off big chunks of the thing...

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've seen about 500 swivel guns and all of them have been made of bronze. To date I have never seen one made of iron. Good luck.
TW
PS: Actually, I was referring to the Lantaka type of Swivel Guns when I posted this info.

Last edited:

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That would be awesome if it turns out to be a swivel gun. Congrats and Good luck!! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions