Probably My Last Big Post Of The Season. Big Silver And More.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

Season is coming to a end if you don't already know this. Managed to get out here and there over the last month. Nothing spectacular but had a nice silver day. They cleaned up some logs at a old park. Opened up a piece of a old hot spot of mine. I found a 1.10 in silver face value in like 10 minutes or less.

Was pretty nice seeing a 34 walker staring back at you in the middle of a plug. Got a 42 washington and a no date SL quarter. Also got a 1916 merc. Nice modern silver day. Other than that it's been a few finds here and there. I basically have called it a season. Hunters are in the woods now and the ground is freezing up.

I wanted to know if any of you guys could ID that small brass plate/with the handles and dog in the center. I found it the other day while hunting a old ghost town you could call it now. Just a bunch of old foundations running about a block up the rd. It was a surface find just under the leaves and foilage.

I think it may be a card tray. Thinking it's art noveau period. Maybe someone here will know. It's not marked and looks like it may have been cast. Has like a molded back look to it. Also could anyone tell me what the Con's No B1808 Phila Co tag may be.

Also got a 1889 indian bad shape. Got a bad shape good for one contrast gigar good for 5cent token. Got 17 wheats a 46 rosie and a 42 merc. And 2 buffaloes a no date and a 35. Also a nice little sterling ring with about 15 little fake diamonds in it. The sides of the ring have all been carved out on it.

Other than that it's been a good yr. I hope to have some more good finds to show next yr again. Thanks again for looking over my post and helping Id things for me.

HH Jer

Attachments

• last finds maybe 001.JPG
    last finds maybe 001.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,864
  • last finds maybe 002.JPG
    last finds maybe 002.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,844
  • last finds maybe 003.JPG
    last finds maybe 003.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,837
  • last finds maybe 004.JPG
    last finds maybe 004.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,839
  • last finds maybe 005.JPG
    last finds maybe 005.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 1,826
  • last finds maybe 007.JPG
    last finds maybe 007.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,811
  • last finds maybe 008.JPG
    last finds maybe 008.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,818
  • last finds maybe 009.JPG
    last finds maybe 009.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,796
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Jer, I always enjoy your posts! That small square piece beside the parasol flange looks like a coin weight. I didn't see it cleaned up so you might want to check it. Nice finds and HH, Mike

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FINDS!! GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR!!

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot everyone.

Glad you all have enjoyed my post. I'm getting ready to take a few month break here soon. That cabin fever really sucks.

Yeah I thought baggage claim tage maybe also to. It is so hard to say. I love those kinds of finds though. That site probably needs another look over.

Thanks Monty, I consider you and another handful of members as being the original people I've met on here yrs ago now. It's nice to still see you guys on the forum. So many people have come and gone from this site.

Thanks Mike, Your another guy who has been here for a long time also. Thanks for the support over the yrs also.

Thanks to everyone one else also. I may be back with a few more tidbits over the rest of this month. Geting cold though fast. Today in Pa would have been a good day to go out.

HH Jer

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant to reply to this post sooner.

Another great haul, Jeremy. Everything cleaned up so nice. That card tray is beautiful, definitely my favorite of the whole assortment. I also really like the 1808 tag and of course the silver.

Too bad the ground is getting frozen now. When I get the chance I might post a couple finds I made in the past few weeks, but it's all little bits here and there.

Well I hope you do post a few more things, Jer. I hope you don't go off Tnet for the whole winter. It just wouldn't be the same.

Chris

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
JerDfx,
That bronze tip tray or ash tray is probably worth $300.00 to $600.00 dollars.
Don't sell it for no less than $200.00 if asked.
Great find!
Abe

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys,

Chris, Thanks man. Yeah the ground is starting to get hard now. I did sqeeze in a few hunts this weekend though. Came up with some nice relics. That rain then cold temps really hardened up the ground quick. I'll still be around. Probably start cleaning up more finds and posting what's it's to stay busy. Next spring I should have some nice area's lined up. Maybe we can get together for a hunt.

Silver Fox, Thanks alot for the info. I knew the tray had value but I wasn't sure. I had found some others to compare it to. But none just like this one. I can imagine what others found at this site before I hunted it. They left this one behind. Thought it was a piece of scrap aluminum. Glad they did.

I live for relic finds like this. It got my blood flowing when I picked it up and flipped it over. Every signal at this site was a keeper almost. Just finding a good signal was tough though. The site is a bunch of foundations up on a hill. The soil has been tossed around and a pair of city steps runs right through the site. Lots of trashed dumped over the yrs.

I went back this weekend and pulled out the last remaining keepers. I'm sure there are more up there though. It's just foundation after foundation all lined up. Must have been old homes or buildings long ago. Town was est in 1837. Old area to hunt. No period coins though. One indian from my brother and a good luck token.

Thanks again everyone

HH Jer

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya dun way good. Is the platter made of pot metal, by chance?
Carl

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Carl,

No it is very heavy. Think it is copper or brass. Pretty sure it is copper though. I think it was cast also. It has a molded snoothed out backside to it. Has little nipple legs for it to stand up. Nice piece to recover and in great shape to. Didn't wanna over clean the item to much. I was pretty happy with the results.

HH Jer

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
JerDfx,
I did some more research on this tray and it just might be a betting tray used many years ago for guys who would go fox hunting for a sport. They would place bets on who would get the first fox and then get on their horses and hunt using pointer dogs and sometimes other dogs. Pointer dogs are also used more today for pheasant and quail hunting. This is not fact, but a good guess. Abe

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot man.

All this added info is great. Nice to know what you have found. I appreciate the time you spent looking around. I do alot of the same thing. I knew it had some decent value to. I compared it to some others but none just like it.

Thanks again

Jeremy

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Jer,
I took your photos to a antique dealer to ask his opinion about your tray. He thinks that it is just one of three that went around a large candle or bowl and was used as a table display during parties or holiday dinners. He didn't know what it was worth but said if it was in very good condition that he would put at least a $75.00 to $200.00 price tag on it.
Hope this helps? Abe

P/S what is the weight and measurements

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys.

I don't know the exact measurement right at this moment. It is roughly 8 inch by 5 inch. Has about a 2 drop down into the base. It is heavy probably about a pound. Don't know the exact weight either.

Did he mention how old it may have been. Nice to know exactly what it may have been used for. Thanks alot for your time. 75 to 200 is not bad at all. I knew I had something special relic wise the moment I picked it up. Love these types of finds.

Thanks again

Jer

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great looking selection of finds. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot pepper.

Just when I think this thread is done. It keeps growing and growing. Thanks alot guys for all the help and support.

HH Jer

Sweet T

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2009
oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher VLF 660 Mother Lode, Garret ACE 250 finally!
Wow! Great finds! What methods did you use to clean the items you found? I find tons of relics in my yard from a homestead that was built in 1901 and I have been very unsure as to what would be the safest way to clean some of the items i find (silverware and other misc. items.)

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thank you very much.

Sure I can shed some cleaning tips. I got a great quick method but you have to watch this way. I cleaned that dish this way. Poured some vinegar right onto it and started tooth brushing it and adding water over the sink. It turned out beautiful in about 15 minutes. But it was in very good shape.

Every item is different. How eaten up they are and what the condition of the item is before cleaning. If you can still see gilt on silverware after just rincing it with water. Then this method would be great. I like to soak mine in a tub large enough for them to be fully submerged.

Caution though you have to clean the same metals in the same tub. Or they can soak into one another. You can't mix metals this way. All have to be copper etc. You can't mix lead items and copper items. Let them soak till you start to see either a light green tint come into the water. Maybe 3 or 4 hrs.

Tooth brush them rince them. Then you can polish them. Or let them soak in olive oil for awhile. Or you can just buy a rock tumbler. And tumble the items you find. I do this alot also.

Hope this helps.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread