Votes: 0 0.0%
  • considering it

• never will

• Total voters

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Just curious how many use a probe. Please atleast vote, answer questions below if you feel like it ;D.

1-If you use one, do you feel brass is better than steel? Meaning do you feel there's less chance of damaging (scratching) a find?

2-Is the additional cost of brass worth it over steel?

3-Anyone ever use a fiberglass probe?

4-If you use a probe, do you use it for coins (and smaller items) or for larger items (or both), including to rule-out junk, cans or to locate something that could contain a possible cache?

5- What's the shortest and what's the longest probe you (do or would) use?

Thanks
Smitty

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Smitty,
I use a brass probe (with pearl handle) in conjunction with the pinpointer. If the coin is shallow and I can probe it and get it out without digging, that is what I do. Here are my answers to your questions.

1 - Yes brass better than steel

2 - To me it was. It's not like I will ever have to buy another one

3 - No

4 - For whatever I detect (mostly coins)

5- 8 inches, anything deeper I will have dig a hole for anyway

Cal

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 10 inch brass probe made out of 1/4 inch rod.
One end is ground flat like a screwdriver tip and the other
is threaded with a golf ball screwed on it for a handle.
Cost me nothing to make, but my time since it all was scrap pieces.
I have made several for friends who use them all the time.
They work great since they don't leave marks if you hit your target.

999slvrfx

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Thanks for taking the time reply. I was considering making some, didn't know if it'd be worthwhile.

Smitty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too use a brass probe about 9 inches long and I have a walnut handle. I never thought of using a golf ball, be nice to bounce it off the drive way but I'd probable poke myself in the eye.

I also used solid fiberglass shafts from fishing rod blanks and while they won't mar the coin you can't retrieve with them like Farmercal does.

Depending on the site I also use a bayonet due to the two sided blade. You can't cut anything with it, but it jams inside the hole of a pull tab or ring instead of poking all around it trying to hit the edge.

I have used stainless steel automobile antennas and these would scratch a coin if you were careless. Now days you can't find a antenna.

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
I've used an ice pick for years. In fact it's so old that it used to be 6" long and now it's like 4". Time to replace it. I also stuck a rubber cap made for walking canes over the end of the wood handle to protect my palm. I just round off the tip with a file when needed to keep it dull. I probe every find and once located, if it's shallow I just pop it out. If it's too deep to pop out I stick my Lesche tool into the ground under the find and make a slit to get my finger in. I then find the end of the probe and there's the coin, ring, cap, pull-tab, etc. The probe will go through thin aluminum or foil so sometimes I have to dig a plug to clean that crap out. Saves a lot of digging.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old ice pick with the tip rounded smooth. Hey 999slvrfx do you mean just a simple brass rod that can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions