Problem needs help

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I don't know if the ones you saw were magnifying or not but water itself has some magnifying effect. The main reason to use one is to get by the surface glare of the water. Its the same as if you had a scuba goggle on. To that effect, if you took a piece of glass or plexaglass and glued it to the bottom of a tube of some kind, then what you would have would be a viewer such as you saw on TV. Any shape would do. You would want the glass to be flush to the bottom so it wouldn't pick up bubbles. Handy tool for finding those cracks that are holding all them there nuggets. Good luck.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Forget the tube. It takes one hand away from you and you'll find yourself crosseyed in no time trying to look down it.

Best one I have ever built was from an empty coleman stove fuel can, the rectangular 1 gallon size. Cut out both ends, cut a piece of clear plexiglass to fit, and seal in place with clear silicone. Then take some old burlap, or firehose and glue it on the open end, overlapping down about 2 inches on both sides, all around the open end.

Now you have a rectangular viewfinder that your eyes will not cross trying to see into. Bite the hose, holding the can in your mouth while you have both hands free to sweep cracks with.

A round three pound coffee can will also work, but I like the rectangular one better. A ping pong paddle will sweep more gravel out of those cracks than your hand will anyday. And you can use it to scrape with, too. Screwdrivers and a small prybar come in handy also.

We call this "sniping" here in Oregon, does just about as good as dredging on small creeks, but hard on your back, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread