Problem with Ace 250?

jbessl9497

Jul 28, 2012
Loganville GA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Propointer
Hello everyone I am brand new to this truly addictive hobby and I am well...addicted. I go detecting every bit of spare time I get. I do have one issue though. When I am in places with a lot of nails my Ace 250 will sometimes sound a strong bell tone as if it a coin. I dig the hole and all I find is a stupid nail :BangHead: I then pick my detector up and resweep the whole expecting it to give another bell tone telling me that the nail just happened to be in the same hole as a coin. This time no tone at all. :BangHead: I wave the nail in front of the coil and no tone (discriminated out.) I close the hole up and resweep in confusion, nothing. So my question is why would my detector give a bell tone on a nail which should be discriminated but then only give a silent iron reading when I do an air test? Just so you know the sensitivity is on the factory setting. Has anybody else had this issue?

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only dig good repeatable signals until you can learn the difference it might make a sound one way but not the other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not own a 250 . The nails i have ring up coins are usually bent,(roundish like a coin) ,i consider it part of the game. Usually i run in jewelry mode and dig pull tabs. Try son of a diggers approach of checking target from different angles and see if readings change. Have fun. There comes a time when you can call some finds, but the iffy signals you leave could be some one else's pay out!.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try dropping the discrimination down three notches. I've found that if it's a solid repeatable signal it's usually a coin, or coinlike object. I actually only get a few nails here or there.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 250 and I only run mine 2 bars from the far left side sometimes 3 depending on how trashy the area is.

OP
OP
J

jbessl9497

Jul 28, 2012
Loganville GA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Propointer
Thanks everyone for the advise. The one problem that I noticed about dropping the sensitivity down was that when I did air tests to learn what affects it has on depth, For every bar less you have you loose anywhere between .5 to 1 inch of depth. I don't know if I want to take the chance of missing something that would have been within the range had I not turned down the sensitivity.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i ran in jewerly mode 2-3 bars down from top

Ezkilll

Aug 20, 2012
Maple Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to metal detecting so take my words with a grain of salt. I also have a Garrett ACE 250 and experienced similar results - bell tone on what turns out to be rusty nails. From detecting on the beach and digging a lot I've made an observation. When swinging I will often will get a bell tone in one direction, and iron tone the other. I've found that if I pin point and swing over that I get a more solid signal. It seems to me that if you are off target you will get an inconsistent bell tone on nails.

I am still in the learning mode so I am running all metal near max sensitivity and digging everything. I dig a LOT of junk. The ACE 250 will pick up a 1/4 square foil gum wrapper at 6". I've dug bobbie pins beyond 6".

Practice and decide for yourself which signals you want to dig, and what you want to risk missing.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes there is a halo (In the Ground) around your rusty nail that you just dug. Sometimes by stomping on the ground over the object it will help bust halo!Also try this once you hit a signal turn 45 degrees to left or right of object resweep if its still says coin it normally is....I hope this helps!

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting so take my words with a grain of salt. I also have a Garrett ACE 250 and experienced similar results - bell tone on what turns out to be rusty nails. From detecting on the beach and digging a lot I've made an observation. When swinging I will often will get a bell tone in one direction, and iron tone the other. I've found that if I pin point and swing over that I get a more solid signal. It seems to me that if you are off target you will get an inconsistent bell tone on nails.

I am still in the learning mode so I am running all metal near max sensitivity and digging everything. I dig a LOT of junk. The ACE 250 will pick up a 1/4 square foil gum wrapper at 6". I've dug bobbie pins beyond 6".

Practice and decide for yourself which signals you want to dig, and what you want to risk missing.

''Sound" advice, Ezkill:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions