Problem with HF Elliptical Coil - Any Help or Suggestions?

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out in some iron infested ground today running my HF elliptical coil and it would repeatedly disconnect from the remote.
Things would go silent and Id look down to see no coil flash a few times, then it would connect again and work for a few swings, then disconnect again.

I tried power cycling the remote and my ws5 headphones but it did not fix the issue.

Does this sound like a coil issue? All my other coils function as normal.

Currently running v5.2, should I try the update to v5.21?

Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5.21 fixes a wireless headphone battery drain glitch. Really sounds like you have an intermittentent broken power lead between the external coil battery and the coil. Call the XP repair center.

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5.21 fixes a wireless headphone battery drain glitch. Really sounds like you have an intermittentent broken power lead between the external coil battery and the coil. Call the XP repair center.

Thanks.

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just called the US based service center in MA and they suspect it might be a bad battery.
The tech suggested I swap batteries from my other HF coil and see if that fixes the issue.
I went ahead and ordered another battery. But my HF is a bit over 2 years old and no longer under warranty, so it cost me $42 for the replacement.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Warranty should be 5 years?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 years for the coil. There is inconsistent information, however, if the battery is covered for 5 years or 2 years.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

@V... Which of the two headphones are you referring to that 5.21 fixes? Or did you mean both?

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not very good info from the CS center. It would not be connected and disconnect repeatedly if the batt was dead. Plus you would be able to see if the batt was dead on your screen. Sounds like a loose wire like V said.

I heard there CS was good in Mass anyone hear differently. Luckily I haven’t had to use it yet.

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not very good info from the CS center. It would not be connected and disconnect repeatedly if the batt was dead. Plus you would be able to see if the batt was dead on your screen. Sounds like a loose wire like V said.

I heard there CS was good in Mass anyone hear differently. Luckily I haven’t had to use it yet.

Yeah super friendly and helpful. I think they're the folks behind metaldetector.com because they had me on file.

Warranty on the battery is two years. Mine was up 9/19. Battery is not dead it works fine, but only for a few minutes at a time. I also noticed, that while it takes a charge and indicates full on the remote, the coil charging light never goes off. so, yeah. gonna give it a shot because I looked at the wires and existing connection, all seems as it should be.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Backphones, I believe.

Darn... Thanks V. I’m having a serious drainage problem with the WS5. I have both but the 5 can be full today and within a few days of none use, takes at least a couple hours to charge. I’m running 5.2.

Anyone else experienced/experiencing this?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn... Thanks V. I’m having a serious drainage problem with the WS5. I have both but the 5 can be full today and within a few days of none use, takes at least a couple hours to charge. I’m running 5.2.

Anyone else experienced/experiencing this?

I found the 5.21 update description on the XP website, it does not appear to specifically refer to just the backphones:

– 03/27/2019: – This update 5.21 corrects sleep power issues with the DEUS headphones on version 5.2. The DEUS 5.2 can sometimes place the headphones into an unwanted standby mode as they can be turned on during charging, resulting in a slow battery discharge.

I would give it a shot with your WS5 to see if it helps with the issue.

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a quick test the new battery seems to have resolved the issue. Real field test to come. Soon, hopefully.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread