Problem with motor

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
We finally got out with our highbanker but problems with our motor kept us from doing any work.

We have a new Honda 4HP that shuts off every 2-3 minutes like clockwork.

Runs great pumping water then just almost instantly shuts off.

Just took it into the shop and the sucker wouldnt shut off at the shop of course but gonna leave it there for them to mess with a little more.

Im starting to wonder if pumping the water from the creek was creating too much of a work load for the motor and killing it.

Anyone experience anything like this or have any ideas?

Upvote 0

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering if there is a "heat" issue when it is pumping. I had a compressor that would run well, then shut off. It had a heat sensor, and would automatically shut off the unit. Problem was, the sensor was bad, it wasn't really overheating - and it only did it on a heavier throttle.

B

OP
OP
C

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
When the pump is off the motor runs fine.

We just tested it in our swimming pool and even under these perfect conditions it did the same thing.

rockhead

Jan 25, 2008
Yosemite Ca
Detector(s) used
Gmt, Gold Bug 2, Infinium
I'm no pro when it comes to proline pumps but I think your right about the pump. If your running the 300 it could be too much but the 200 should work. They all fit on the 5/8 shaft I think. Can you borrow a smaller pump from someone and check it out? Proline mates the 300 pump with a 5 or 6.5 I think call them up they are pretty good guys.

OP
OP
C

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
It works now!!!

I had a friend of a friend whos a mechanic come over and run a test in our pool...he figured it was a gas issue or a possible oil sensor issue but that was the more rare case.

He cleaned out the gas tank and carb and refilled with his gas...then after testing it again it ran non stop.

Not sure what exactly went wrong but that worked.

We're back in the saddle again.

Headin' out tomorrow...

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal - they are definitely susceptible to any little fuel issue.

I didn't think it was the pump - those little honda engines have some guts.

Have fun - we will be waiting for the results of your "trip"

B

JamesE

Might also check your suction hose for soft spots and collasping, Or your foot valve or strainer for plugging and starving the pump.
Used to be that trimmed plastic flashing bits would get in gas tanks would cause intermittent fuel starve and then float again and restart. Honda used to be more quality than that though.
If you're using gasahol, try plain regular unleaded.
If you use a low quality or too much oil, it can froth and foam and fool the oil sensor.
Don't know the choke style, be sure it locks open.
I use a 2 stroke Tecumseh from a 2'' Keene dredge (P 95?), it gives more than enough flow for the hi-banker and power sluicing at way less than 1/2 throttle. I think yours would do better.
Good luck with it, jim

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it ever does this again tap on the fuel bowl a couple time with the handle of a screwdirver and give it a couple pulls.. If it starts its usually a stuck float for whatever reason (debris ect.).. Bowl is full, float or needle valve stuck closed, motor runs for 3-5 minutes and bowl empties and motor shuts down.. Move it around or jar it and the float frees up and it runs again.. Cleaning out the bowl and carb usually works, and if not a new float and needle valve will do it...

Brian93436

Jan 26, 2008
Lompoc
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure sounds like a fuel problem to me, but with all the safety devices on the engine it could be one of those as mentioned before.

I have had dirty fuel filters that have the same symptoms you describe (run fine for awhile then die due to fuel starvation).

Also I have had contamination in the Carb give me fits with intermittent shutdowns. Seems the debris would float around and then get sucked into a port and then the engine would stop... let it sit for a bit and the debris would float back out and the engine would run fine... for awhile... Ended up being a sliver of silicone that drove me nuts over the course of a few weeks.

Changes in elevation are another fuel problem for engines. Some engines are VERY susceptible to problems with their fuel system with changes in elevation. My kid's Honda TRX90 ATV is one of those.

Intermittent problems are such a treat... Having been on the other side of the coin as a mechanic I have spent many an hour trying to find the phantom noise or symptom the Customers would describe.

Good luck! Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread