Problem with my Nokta Legend

Mar 8, 2024
This machine goes bonkers for no known reason. then completely just stops detecting. I have 17 hours logged on the machine and this issue has happened several times. The best I can describe it is that it seems like it is getting an overload of EMI, (but no known EMI in the area) it doesn't matter how low you set the sensitivity. If you continue to try to use it, it will not detect anything, and the screen just goes stagnant. Still shows everything on the screen. It just won't detect anything or even pinpoint anything. Even if I place a coin or something on the ground it will not detect it. Shut it off, reboot it, and it will start working correctly again. Sometimes it will work well the rest of the time. Other times it will do the exact same thing all over again, but it won't detect again, if I throw a coin down it doesn't detect it, but this time it will pinpoint it??? This is really pissing me off. Nobody wants to have to reboot their machine 2 or 3 times within a few minutes to do some metal detect. Never had these issues with my White's Spectrum XLT!!!! Any help would be great. Guy on YouTube had the exact same issue. SOFLO Treasure Finds, Jon Traccitto is his name. Can't upload the 2 videos they are just over a min long each.

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there Savagehillbilly.
Sorry hear your having troubles with the legend not sure if you have tried changing out coils,that is if you got the propack.
If there is no change in the problem the best I can say is try a factory reset on the firmware.
You did not mention what version was on your legend which would be helpful to know.
Either way if it persist the next step would be to go to nokta's web site and ask for customer support for the problem, here I will warn you not to wait anymore that 72 hours for a reply if they do not get back with you promptly contact we dig metal detectors let Andy there know you made a request to have it fix and was ignored.
All you have to do is provide him with the purchase date serial #s to your detector and coils that you have and he will get the ball rolling.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This machine goes bonkers for no known reason. then completely just stops detecting. I have 17 hours logged on the machine and this issue has happened several times. The best I can describe it is that it seems like it is getting an overload of EMI, (but no known EMI in the area) it doesn't matter how low you set the sensitivity. If you continue to try to use it, it will not detect anything, and the screen just goes stagnant. Still shows everything on the screen. It just won't detect anything or even pinpoint anything. Even if I place a coin or something on the ground it will not detect it. Shut it off, reboot it, and it will start working correctly again. Sometimes it will work well the rest of the time. Other times it will do the exact same thing all over again, but it won't detect again, if I throw a coin down it doesn't detect it, but this time it will pinpoint it??? This is really pissing me off. Nobody wants to have to reboot their machine 2 or 3 times within a few minutes to do some metal detect. Never had these issues with my White's Spectrum XLT!!!! Any help would be great. Guy on YouTube had the exact same issue. SOFLO Treasure Finds, Jon Traccitto is his name. Can't upload the 2 videos they are just over a min long each.
Definitely sounds like a coil. if that fixes it. If that doesn't fix it, I would get on the on Nokta website for their service center. You can find that link on our website here... https://bigboyshobbies.net/metal-detector-service-centers

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the heck of it...the next time it does it....shut your phone off to see if that makes a difference

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This machine goes bonkers for no known reason. then completely just stops detecting. I have 17 hours logged on the machine and this issue has happened several times. The best I can describe it is that it seems like it is getting an overload of EMI, (but no known EMI in the area) it doesn't matter how low you set the sensitivity. If you continue to try to use it, it will not detect anything, and the screen just goes stagnant. Still shows everything on the screen. It just won't detect anything or even pinpoint anything. Even if I place a coin or something on the ground it will not detect it. Shut it off, reboot it, and it will start working correctly again. Sometimes it will work well the rest of the time. Other times it will do the exact same thing all over again, but it won't detect again, if I throw a coin down it doesn't detect it, but this time it will pinpoint it??? This is really pissing me off. Nobody wants to have to reboot their machine 2 or 3 times within a few minutes to do some metal detect. Never had these issues with my White's Spectrum XLT!!!! Any help would be great. Guy on YouTube had the exact same issue. SOFLO Treasure Finds, Jon Traccitto is his name. Can't upload the 2 videos they are just over a min long each
My Legends have been rock solid. Best machines I've ever owned and I find a LOT of cool stuff with em'. However, I did notice an issue with an overload or interference condition when I switched to the Accupoint pin pointer from the Garrett carrot.

I hunt in high EMI areas and love that the Legend has so many multi-frequency and single frequency settings to choose from.

The issue goes like this: If I am in 20kHZ frequency, and use the Accupoint pinpointer, everything goes bonkers with the pointer as soon as I turn it on. I can alleviate it some by moving the detector 5 or 6 feet away but that is more inconvenience than I like. This is the only set of conditions where this happens.

I've grown to like the Accupoint so much, that I just put up with it. If I'm hunting in 20 kHZ (maybe 15% of the time) and I swing over a diggable target, I have to remember to change the frequency on the Legend or it will go crazy as soon as I turn on the pinpointer. This never happened with the Garrett carrot.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you update your machine?
I posted on this helpful bit of info that may help you IF it happened after you updated to 1.11 or higher from a previous version and IF you are running Windows 10 or higher.
It's posted here and I put it up tonight.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Legends have been rock solid. Best machines I've ever owned and I find a LOT of cool stuff with em'. However, I did notice an issue with an overload or interference condition when I switched to the Accupoint pin pointer from the Garrett carrot.

I hunt in high EMI areas and love that the Legend has so many multi-frequency and single frequency settings to choose from.

The issue goes like this: If I am in 20kHZ frequency, and use the Accupoint pinpointer, everything goes bonkers with the pointer as soon as I turn it on. I can alleviate it some by moving the detector 5 or 6 feet away but that is more inconvenience than I like. This is the only set of conditions where this happens.

I've grown to like the Accupoint so much, that I just put up with it. If I'm hunting in 20 kHZ (maybe 15% of the time) and I swing over a diggable target, I have to remember to change the frequency on the Legend or it will go crazy as soon as I turn on the pinpointer. This never happened with the Garrett carrot.
Update, frequency shift on the Accupoint helped the situation. It is not completely eliminated but it is alleviated to the degree that the Legend and Accupoint are usable at 20kHZ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread