problems dredging

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ever noticed how you try to get ready for the big day dredging,you have to work all the time ,don't get much time to go.so you try to prepare-you get your tools together ,gas ,extra hose clamps,DUCT-TAPE,pans ,sluices,sucker bottles,back pack,and all the other extras-you may or not may need or use.but you try to have all the bases covered.so you load the truck the night before-so can hop in and go.you wake up early go to leave.then get delayed,have to get gas for the truck,hit traffic,get the the river 2 1/2 hrs later ,starts raining,to much mud ,can't get to the right spot-wind up going to the easy access place-go to start the dredge-rope won't wind back up-spring is sprung-don't have the right size socket(but have 2 of every thing else) finally get the screws off-loose 1 in the river-wind up using the rope wound on front of moter,FINALLY-dredge fires up,then realize the new motor and pump you just put on is heavier than you thought-now dredge is nose diving-put rocks on back of dredge to balance it out-o.k. now things are going better-dredge for a while,need 2 more foot of hose to hit the crack right -pull dredge forward-knock off rock,dredge nose dives,pontoon fills up with water,but you don't notice this -dredge starts to sink,your buddy saves the day(thanks chris in w ga.)you stop to fix the problem-then realize you lost your foot valve-gone down the river!luckily your buddy has a backup(thanks chris in w ga.)so get ready to get back at it-ooh no-look at the time !where did all the time go?i've got to go i'm late got band practice tonight!go to load up can't pick up my pontoons to full of water!have to drain them ,this is not good it takes 30 min or more-getting later-finally get loaded up.thank chris in w ga.for the invite-and help.and leave then son and i are starving stop and eat -loose more time-now i'm really late.by the way did i mention did not find but 2 specks? maybe 3-but this is dredging at it's finest-it's a great hobby glad i don't do this for the money!after all of this i still had a good time saw the most beautiful scenery-mountain laurals in full bloom-beautiful river and the main thing had really good company!ready to go again!thanks again chris in w ga.

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
even when things go wrong while out dredgeing, i still have a great time! sure beats staying home and wishing i was out there dredgeing! after all, what good is a dream if you cant pursue it!

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
next time i will try to be more prepared-plus i think i will try to go to a new place i have permission to.private and not touched since the gold rush.should be a really good property.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: PARTY ON DUDE--I took out some folks the other day and #1 rule a dredging is---2 of everything-including engine,pump,air--put a huge cookie tray under your engine=2 things--no more lost anything and NO OIL EVER IN THE CREEK-ifn' ya' don't have it you will definately need it :tongue3: -tons a au 2 u 2 -John :thumbsup:

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Need a partner with a dredge for this untouched creek? I am going somewhere this weekend!!

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kilnmaint ,where are you at?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there!!!The first trip of the year especially!!!

Chris In W Georgia

Oct 25, 2004
Well will get all the bugs worked out, an if not I just got the 263 rebuilt today now we can both get to werkin the 6". Its taken some doin to get everything just right. Here's a couple pics for ya... Chris In W Georgia.....aka.. DredgeHog

Attachments

• 100_1267.jpg
    100_1267.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 357
  • gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 353
OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang chris ,after looking at what you got ,now i am sick! :owe'll do better next time.

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Strickman,
I have had the same problems as you , just not all at the same time! My foot valve fell off last trip out. Spent an hour crawling around in muddy swift water to find it! Just finished loading my dredge in the truck and checking all the clamps.

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snakebit dredging at its finest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread