MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone !! :hello:

I think I'm having problems with my MXT... :o First I got a 12x15 SEF that worked fine most the season. :icon_thumleft: Near the end of the season It started putting bottle caps in the silver quarter range. ??? I mean dozens of bottle caps. So I put the stock coil back on it stopped picking up the bottle caps. :headbang: Now however the machine is acting funny. :icon_scratch: Good signals will disappear as soon as I dig them. :dontknow: I put a clad quarter at 4-5 inches and it was coming up as a faint dollar signal. ??? (VDI +94 with one bar) it should come in as a quarter at 4 inches. I have a Sunray pin pointer on it too and Air tests prove fine... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

I'd send it to my dealer but he takes forever and I had to cancel an order cause he was taking to long. :-\ I don't think he is happy with me and I'm not happy with him. :'( I don't know if I can afford any repairs. :icon_scratch: My dealer said not to worry about the Warranty a long time ago. I hope Whites will do the same. :notworthy:

Not sure what to do... :dontknow: Not sure if I even really have a problem. :icon_scratch: Just wondering what you guys here think. If anyone knows the problem or what I should do please.... ??? By all means tell me, say something in the post or send me a PM...... :icon_thumleft:

Thanks everyone for understanding, :notworthy:
Keep @ it and HH !! :-\

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You tried doing an air test like off a table you will need to lock the tracking for an air test. It will lots of times change what its saying when I open up the hole that the coin I'm digging is in. Try going straight to the box from your coil taking out the sunray pinpointer. There is a MXT section on the whites forum with lots of people that have experience and are willing to help. Getting a good ground balance is important for target ID, sometimes the bottle caps will come up in the quarter range but usually if you sweep from a different direction it will say something different. Hope you get it figured out, I'm not sure I could do without my MXT.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wingmaster said:
You tried doing an air test like off a table you will need to lock the tracking for an air test. It will lots of times change what its saying when I open up the hole that the coin I'm digging is in. Try going straight to the box from your coil taking out the sunray pinpointer. There is a MXT section on the whites forum with lots of people that have experience and are willing to help. Getting a good ground balance is important for target ID, sometimes the bottle caps will come up in the quarter range but usually if you sweep from a different direction it will say something different. Hope you get it figured out, I'm not sure I could do without my MXT.

Having a hard time following you.... :icon_scratch: I tried doing an air-test and it works OK. I've never heard of Tracking Lock or how to do it. :dontknow: (Is that the pinpointing trigger) I also thought the MXT had auto ground balance... ??? Somethings not right bottle caps never came in as quarters and that stopped once I put the stock coil back on. :headbang: I'll try and take the Sunray off I've never been to the whites form got a link ?

Thanks for your help, :icon_thumleft:
-MUD ;D

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you start hunting you need to turn the detector on above the ground then find clean ground and pump the coil up and down about 4" above and to the ground to get it balanced then it will track the ground from there. The switch in the middle position locks the tracking, this can keep the MXT from tracking out real deep targets as well, but you should let the tracking catch up every once in a while by taking off track lock, I usually ground balance it at that point. You can tell when it needs to catch up because of changing ground by it getting a little noisy. http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/forum.php

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wingmaster nailed it. On the repairs, you will save a ton of time by sending in your detector to White's with a full explanation of what it is doing and send in the 12X15 SEF coil too. The dealer only sends it in to the factory too and that is what takes so long. Not his fault.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Sandman is correct and if it is within the warranty period there will be no fee. If it is not in the warranty period then there might be a small service charge. Send it directly to White's Electronics, Sweet Home, OR and write on the shipment "Service Department". Include a detailed write up of the problem so the Tech will know what the problem is. Complete address is on their site. There are also regional repair facilities and for most problems they can get the unit back to you sooner. You can call to find out where the closest repair facility is to you and you can make arrangements to use one of those facilities also.

srf2112

Jul 5, 2010
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro w/DX-1, MXT 300 w/DX-1, Dual Field P.I., Excal II, M6, Garrett ProPointer, Pro-Gold HP's, Lesche and Predator force multipliers
The DD style coils on the MXT will put bottlecaps in the quarter range...this, unfortunately, is common. There's an easy technique to employ to help differentiate B/C's from quarters. Sweep the coil back and forth over the target as you pull your coil towards the "edge". If it's a bottlecap it will suddenly drop down to an iron range signal...if it's a quarter it will drop of gradually as you leave the center of the target. As far as airtesting discrepancies..wingmaster is right. Put the right toggle switch on the control box (the ground tracking selector switch) to the center (locked) position before doing air tests. The MXT does have auto ground tracking (when the ground tracking switch is in the "salt" or "ground" positions) which must be turned off (locked) to get an "accurate" air test. If your targets are still air testing erroneously after that...then I would think there's a problem with the machine. Hope that helps and you get it figured out...good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread