problems with my new fisher CZ-20

jameys18

Apr 27, 2010
Hi guys this is my first post and my first detector! I'm having some possible issues I would like some feedback on. I'm not sure if its broken or if i'm doing something wrong.

I follow the instructions on ground balancing by setting the sens to 10, disc to 0 and ground to 10. then i turn the detector on and hold the coil about 6-10 inches above the ground hit the pinpoint button. after I hit the button and hold it down i lower the detector to the ground.... In the manual it says to lower coil to the ground then slowly turn the ground knob down until you here the whining then back off... well when i lower the coil to the ground I automatically here the whining and it just gets louder when i turn the ground knob down... i've tried doing this is several different areas incase i was over metal or high mineral levels in the ground... I'm not sure what the problem is as it has worked the correct way a couple of times....

2nd. Yesterday I went to use my detector at a possible old church site on my girlfriend's families land. when i tried to ground balance the machine I was getting random beeps (like flase hits) ever 5 seconds. I had to turn the sensitivity down to like 3 in order to stop the beeps but then it would only pick up a dime I put on the ground about every other time i passed over it... is this a problem with my machine or is there something i'm missing?

i was no near any power lines also..

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would do better at the Ground balance if you placed it in Auto, Sens 10, Volume high, threshold should increase or decrease as you lower the coil and keep it level to the ground. It threshold increases turn the GB knob lower and repeat the pumping up and down. If the sound goes down, turn the knob the other way. When it remains even you can turn Disc knob to 1 or what you want. the lower the better for beach hunting. If the detector beeps all the time when are hunting where you must turn down sens. Check the coil cover for dirt (black Sand) and clean it out. Turn off cell phones and make sure you aren't near any electronic dog fences or security alarms as these can cause interference as can radio towers. I can't hunt one beach with my CZ-20 because of a State Police Post near by but it doesn't bother my Excal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread