Processing Sulphide Based Ores

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
After doing a bit more research, some commercial coal scrubbers don't use any media in the scrubbers at all. They just use the lime-rich mist. Others use media along with airborne mist for the reaction. All in all, its a fairly simple process.

The trick really is getting the lime-rich water to separate from the gypsum salts that precipitate out of solution during the reaction process.

That said, I had to look up how much a power plant burns in coal a year. Turns out a 1000MW station burning coal solely goes through about 200 pounds of coal, per second. The 800MW natural gas plant in my hometown in Texas has a $565,000,000 scrubber system built in. That's just so we know where we're starting from because I've seen the scrubbers and kind of guess the scale, but didn't know how much exhaust they were pushing through them.

On a small scale, I have no idea how much poundage of concentrated ore to expect to roast per day. Like anything else it'll vary by miner, mines within the miner's control, within the pinches and swells of the veins/offshoots, and within the zones of weathering in each of those mines as well.

I can't really see doing more than 500 pounds of concentrated sulfides per day if you're doing gravity or flotation separation to get the heavies out of the gangue. Two double-drum towers would most likely spit out almost nothing but water vapor as long as the system was working correctly.

From what I've come across our gypsum production is a small revenue stream. Here:

https://www.duke-energy.com/environment/land-quality/managing-synthetic-gypsum.asp

While we won't have a lot of it to sell, we'll actually be on the opposite end of the revenue stream compared to having to dispose of waste solutions of acids or strong oxidizers.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After doing a bit more research, some commercial coal scrubbers don't use any media in the scrubbers at all. They just use the lime-rich mist. Others use media along with airborne mist for the reaction. All in all, its a fairly simple process.

The trick really is getting the lime-rich water to separate from the gypsum salts that precipitate out of solution during the reaction process.

That said, I had to look up how much a power plant burns in coal a year. Turns out a 1000MW station burning coal solely goes through about 200 pounds of coal, per second. The 800MW natural gas plant in my hometown in Texas has a $565,000,000 scrubber system built in. That's just so we know where we're starting from because I've seen the scrubbers and kind of guess the scale, but didn't know how much exhaust they were pushing through them.

On a small scale, I have no idea how much poundage of concentrated ore to expect to roast per day. Like anything else it'll vary by miner, mines within the miner's control, within the pinches and swells of the veins/offshoots, and within the zones of weathering in each of those mines as well.

I can't really see doing more than 500 pounds of concentrated sulfides per day if you're doing gravity or flotation separation to get the heavies out of the gangue. Two double-drum towers would most likely spit out almost nothing but water vapor as long as the system was working correctly.

From what I've come across our gypsum production is a small revenue stream. Here:

https://www.duke-energy.com/environment/land-quality/managing-synthetic-gypsum.asp

While we won't have a lot of it to sell, we'll actually be on the opposite end of the revenue stream compared to having to dispose of waste solutions of acids or strong oxidizers.

I have the formulas around here somewhere on how to size the scrubber. I ran across the lime mist but haven't put much research into it but ot actualy seems rather simple. I don't think the reaction is instantaneous so a "settling basin" could be used to let the gypsum settle out.

The gypsum being a small revenue stream is EXACTLY what I am talking about. As small miners, we need to look at extracting EVERYTHING in the ore and if a waste stream can be turned into a revenue stream then we would be foolish to not explore it if the input to change the waste into revenue is minimal or at least breaks even with the cost of turning it.

All of this comes down to knowing EXACTLY what is in your ore and how much is there. The days of just mining for one mineral are gone and we need to change with the times. For example, I ran across a nice little tin deposit in my travels around here. At $14,000 a ton, it's kinda hard to not look at it as a mining prospect.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly why I like to keep all black sands if possible! I separate the magnetite from the hemitite and sell the magnetite to a local blacksmith who makes his own steel for knives. ect. I also keep material separate from each state, so the blacksmith can say this steel was mined in this state or another as a selling point.

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly why I like to keep all black sands if possible! I separate the magnetite from the hemitite and sell the magnetite to a local blacksmith who makes his own steel for knives. ect. I also keep material separate from each state, so the blacksmith can say this steel was mined in this state or another as a selling point.

That isn't something that I would've considered. I know aquarium folks love black sand too.

There are two areas near Wickenburg that if you ran an ATV with a large magnet on it you could pick the stuff up by the ton.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That isn't something that I would've considered. I know aquarium folks love black sand too.

There are two areas near Wickenburg that if you ran an ATV with a large magnet on it you could pick the stuff up by the ton.

I wonder if that would be a worthwhile idea for after a good, soaking rain?

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the formulas around here somewhere on how to size the scrubber. I ran across the lime mist but haven't put much research into it but ot actualy seems rather simple. I don't think the reaction is instantaneous so a "settling basin" could be used to let the gypsum settle out.

That has me thinking that putting that polyethylene substrate into the reaction chamber is necessary. It'll give a suspended substrate for the reaction.

Furthermore, I think that a settling basin is the way to go. The lime will stay in solution and we can scoop the gypsum salts right out for sale or disposal.

I'm still leaning towards putting several barrels in a series with the screw off tops so you can access the interiors. If not, you really don't have a good way to get into them and do any maintenance or fix anything that breaks.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The barrels are HDPE, nothing exotic. Grab a butane torch and some HDPE plastic rod from Harbor Freight and weld that stuff. It's really easy and good training for the real thing.

The exhaust fan is a specific one. I'll find it and post it up tomorrow. I have to 8 week old Rottweilers thinking my toes are chew toys right now.

The "fan" necessary for one of these setups is the same one used in the portable fume extraction extraction setup. I see these at auction all the time from businesses that close. The typically go for pennies on the dollar.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good soaking rain? I don't think those are legal where I mine. Its either flash flood or bone dry.

WE just had one of those. Almost 3 inches of rain in an hour. Figured I was in four by four territory to make it home, but it just sideswiped the house. Work got bombed.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That has me thinking that putting that polyethylene substrate into the reaction chamber is necessary. It'll give a suspended substrate for the reaction.

Furthermore, I think that a settling basin is the way to go. The lime will stay in solution and we can scoop the gypsum salts right out for sale or disposal.

I'm still leaning towards putting several barrels in a series with the screw off tops so you can access the interiors. If not, you really don't have a good way to get into them and do any maintenance or fix anything that breaks.

I'm thinking the substrate is necessary too. It slows the exhaust down, splits it up, and gives the sulfur dioxide and the other nasties a bigger surface to condense on. Something else I ran across is the best recovery reaction for the sulfur dioxide happens at room temp. so some type pf waste heat recovery system could be used here. Maybe to heat the building this is in up in the northern climates.

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking the substrate is necessary too. It slows the exhaust down, splits it up, and gives the sulfur dioxide and the other nasties a bigger surface to condense on. Something else I ran across is the best recovery reaction for the sulfur dioxide happens at room temp. so some type pf waste heat recovery system could be used here. Maybe to heat the building this is in up in the northern climates.

If I were up in the northern part of Arizona or in the winter, I'd run that exhaust right into the barrels to warm it up. once it hits the water mist, it's going to condense and cool immediately. If it's coming in too hot, I'd say use 25' of aluminum expanding vent hose you can get at Home Depot/Lowe's. Let the heat warm the building coming off that hose and then run it into the first reaction barrel.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mobilflex100NF_high.jpg

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn, that pic came out bigger than expected.

It would need to be set up in a negative pressure situation. In other words, it needs to pull a "vacuum" on the barrels so it is only pulling "clean" exhaust through the fan. If you pull the sulfur dioxide through the fan to force into the barrel and the pump WILL get eaten away in a very short order.

Working on a source for these.

tri%20pack%20media.jpg

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
could youall show some of your ores, nice to see stuff from other mining districts.
Gt...........

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn, that pic came out bigger than expected.

It would need to be set up in a negative pressure situation. In other words, it needs to pull a "vacuum" on the barrels so it is only pulling "clean" exhaust through the fan. If you pull the sulfur dioxide through the fan to force into the barrel and the pump WILL get eaten away in a very short order.

Working on a source for these.

tri%20pack%20media.jpg

I'd say those possibly will be prohibitive compared to using the fake excelsior. I have a feeling those will crust over pretty quick and your surface area is degraded. The excelsior you can put on a hard surface, rub over it with a rolling pin and then wash the gypsum out. Plus it can be rolled tight and put into the barrel. The only thing you'd need is a cross stand built out of 1/2" pvc to give it space above the bottom.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say those possibly will be prohibitive compared to using the fake excelsior. I have a feeling those will crust over pretty quick and your surface area is degraded. The excelsior you can put on a hard surface, rub over it with a rolling pin and then wash the gypsum out. Plus it can be rolled tight and put into the barrel. The only thing you'd need is a cross stand built out of 1/2" pvc to give it space above the bottom.

If you take a look at he picture I posted of the wet scrubber on the first page, you'll see what I mean. I don't think the reaction is instantaneous so the build up shouldn't be a problem. I am mostly concerned with increasing the surface area for the nasties to condense on.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
could youall show some of your ores, nice to see stuff from other mining districts.
Gt...........

One of the ones I am chasing. As soon as I can get my phone to upload to my computer, I'll get some more up. Upgraded from a Galaxy SIII to a Note 5 and it is giving me fits.

Attachments

• low grade ore 022.jpg
    low grade ore 022.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 123

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for a automated car wash manufacturer that also sells chemicals, we have hundreds of 5, 15, 30 and 55 gal plastic empty drums at our warehouse, most carwash companies do. Most are also willing to give them to whoever wants them, I know ours does. Might be worth it to check with any of these companies near you and ask if you can take a few I'm thinking they would let you no problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread