Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
After a couple of cancellations due to factors beyond our control, my good buddy Stan and I finally got the green light to return for a day of digging in the enormous colonial pit that has produced all the bottle seals and other great finds in recent years. I got up early, loaded up all my tools and sifter, and made the 90 min trek to meet Stan at the site. After probing and finding a couple of good side-by-side spots we hacked our way through vines and large roots to get down to the use layer. And it's always hard going here as the area is absolutely filled with loads of brick and oyster shells making it very difficult to get any penetration with the shovel. In this particular area the pit was not as deep as in many other spots - only 2-3 ft as opposed to as deep as 4-5 ft. My spot seemed to be producing large numbers of clay pipe bowls plus over 100 stem pieces. The stem bore diameters were mostly 6/64" or 7/64" which equates to 1650-1710, and this is consistent with the other finds we've been making here. Some of the bowls also had makers marks on the side of the heel or on the bowl itself. The "RT" on that one bowl is the mark for pipemaker Robert Tippet (1660-1690). But Stan was the hero of the day as he recovered 2 bottle seals in the sifter in the same pile of dirt. These were both identical "RC" seals which came from personalized wine bottles belonging to Robert "King" Carter who was probably the wealthiest Virginia landowner at that time. It came from a pancake onion bottle dating to the very late 1600s most likely, and we dug a large number of spouts and bases from these early bottles as well. And Stan graciously gave me one of the seals since I came up empty in my pit, unfortunately. Thanks buddy! I also recovered 4 large pieces from a gorgeous globular-shaped rhenish stoneware jug from the same period. I'm hoping to find the rest of it on another dig. It'll will take me a while to clean up the rest of the stuff, and I'll eventually post some more pics when I'm finished. By the way, that's "Smiling Stan" below, and I'm the human gopher scratchin' around in the hole. Thanks again Stan. I had a great time as usual, and look forward to a return trip soon.

Attachments

• 011214i.JPG
    011214i.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 011214b.JPG
    011214b.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 011214c.JPG
    011214c.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 011214e.JPG
    011214e.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 011214f.JPG
    011214f.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 011214g.JPG
    011214g.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 011214h.JPG
    011214h.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 181
  • 011214j.JPG
    011214j.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 011214k.JPG
    011214k.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 011214l.JPG
    011214l.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Upvote 22

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is an old pit! Working on cleaning up a pit or privy today myself, mostly sifting. Not as old as yours but still fun. I'll post about it later. Again nice finds!!

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love clay pipes! I've only got one whole bowl with the stem broke off and the rest are fragments. Very nice!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that "playing in the dirt" looks like fun to me esp, when you never know what will churn up next.
Good luck
Davers

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill D. (VA)!! CONGRATS!! You guys really Smoked them!! GREAT FINDS!! Keep up the good work!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Excellent recoveries Bill and Stan. That site never ceases to amaze me and will always be one of the best times I ever had relic hunting. Looking forward to the next post.
-Evan

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG guys on awesome hunt! I love the way the glaze is still on the pottery!

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a nice dig site, keep it up

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it all Bill, from the seals to the stoneware pieces. Just looking at the pictures, I can smell that musty shell dust and brick. Makes me want to go out and find a pit....now that I have, thanks to you, a nice probe to use.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awsome spot. Thanks for taking the time to put together the pics and the narration to share your day with us..:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great day of sifting for sure, liking the pipe parts and the two seals. There sure a lot of oyster shells in the pile it must be hard digging through them.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I love it all Bill, from the seals to the stoneware pieces. Just looking at the pictures, I can smell that musty shell dust and brick. Makes me want to go out and find a pit....now that I have, thanks to you, a nice probe to use.

That's funny you mentioned that Joey. Yesterday Stan made a comment about that great pit smell after first getting into the use layer. Love that smell as you always know what follows.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...way to go Bill.:hello2: Love the seals, any ideas about the initials on them? It looks like you have a Westerwald piece there.
images

I would love to see more of that come up.
Keep digging buddy,
ZDD

Edit: Oh yea King Carter, Duh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow...way to go Bill.:hello2: Love the seals, any ideas about the initials on them? It looks like you have a Westerwald piece there.
I would love to see more of that come up.
Keep digging buddy,
ZDD

Dave - the identity behind the bottle seal initials is mentioned in my post. My bottle seal article I sent you a while back talks about a dated Carter seal I found at the same site a couple years ago.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awsome spot. Thanks for taking the time to put together the pics and the narration to share your day with us..:thumbsup:

You're certainly welcome Dug. I know I tend to be long-winded in my posts, but that's mostly because I like to print them out in color and put in 3-ring binders to serve as a historical record of my adventures/finds. Been doing it for almost 8 years now, and wish I started earlier. One day when I finally "retire" from digging it'll be great to go back and read through these and re-live the experiences again. Thanks again for your comment, and good luck to you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread