Professional Courtesy. Where do you stand?

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone invited you to hunt on privet property thats fine if the owner knows. You just can't go back there without him you would be trespassing.
If someone tells you about a place on privet property he is hunting and you show up without permission your trespassing.
If someone shows up on the property you have permission to hunt and were not invited call the police. You don't need friends like that. Nobody needs friends like that.

Has someone done this to you or are you the one who plans on doing it to someone else?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its not "your" site then you just should stay away. The problem is where you get someone going round asking for sole detecting rights then not going near the place for years at a time.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If someone invited you to hunt on privet property thats fine if the owner knows. You just can't go back there without him you would be trespassing.
If someone tells you about a place on privet property he is hunting and you show up without permission your trespassing.
If someone shows up on the property you have permission to hunt and were not invited call the police. You don't need friends like that. Nobody needs friends like that.

Has someone done this to you or are you the one who plans on doing it to someone else?

I have heard of it happening recently. I would never do that.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as in law enforcement (and I do know), when a State Trooper stops a vehicle and finds out that the driver is either a fellow officer, fireman, or EMT etc, he will generally let them off with a warning.

In a sense, the same goes for this hobby right? You are invited to a site by your host and go home with some relics just knowing that there are more there.....Or you hear from a buddy about a site that he is planning on MDing.

So do you just invite yourself and/or your other buddies to the site without notifying the one that invited you? Just curious.

Responses are encouraged...

First of I Never considered myself a Professional. :occasion14:

seriously though common sense says if it's a Public park, for public use
and I Know everybody & their brother hunt it. It's not claim jumping.

If they did the research, and have the exclusive permission it would be claim jumping,
without an explicit invite.

Last edited:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

If they did the research, and have the exclusive permission it would be claim jumping,

That should really be obvious, if it's private property and you weren't personally invited by the owner to detect it...be gone. It's sad if that has actually been an issue for some folks. I guess it takes all kinds.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Then use the phrase "Common Courtesy". :icon_thumleft:

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gospel truth: I tell/warn everyone in the TH'ing business not to even tell me about an old site unless he or she fully realizes I'm thereafter going to dig it. It's that simple --and all well above ground, so to speak. I fish a lot and the same applies there: Don't tell me about a hot site and then expect me to stay away.

Not surprisingly, this issue is a huge and divisive one among most serious detectorists and bottle diggers. Clubs contend with it constantly.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gospel truth: I tell/warn everyone in the TH'ing business not to even tell me about an old site unless he or she fully realizes I'm thereafter going to dig it. It's that simple --and all well above ground, so to speak. I fish a lot and the same applies there: Don't tell me about a hot site and then expect me to stay away.

Not surprisingly, this issue is a huge and divisive one among most serious detectorists and bottle diggers. Clubs contend with it constantly.

If I am reading your post right, You are bragging about being Untrustworthy?
Glad you are in Jersey.
Happy Hunting

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I agree with K Zack.for you are untrustworthy..Fishing is different. The fish move. Plus most waterways are like a beach or park as in public access. But I will add to K Zack's comments and ask that you stay in NJ and I wish you good luck in even getting invited to go hunt with another relic hunter......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions