Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor's presentation takes closer look at Centralia disaster

Untitled.jpg

SCHUYKLILL HAVEN - A presentation at Penn State Schuylkill took a closer look at the Centralia mine fire and how it compares with other major mine fires in the region.

Harold Aurand, an assistant professor of American studies and history, presented "The Research Project That Found Me: Comparative Anthracite Mine Fires," as part of the Faculty Research Seminar Series on February 20.
Aurand said that the people of Centralia were using an abandoned strip mine outside town as a garbage dump and the garbage would catch fire - sometimes on purpose because residents would burn it off to get rid of it. In 1962, the dump caught fire, got into the underground mine and slowly burned toward the town.
"It's a disaster and it's been very famous," Aurand said. "It's been the basis for movies like 'Silent Hill.' This is a story everybody is kind of interested in."
The other mine fires that Aurand talked about included the Laurel Run Mine Fire near Wilkes-Barre that started in 1914 when a miner forgot to turn off his light after work on a Friday. While the fire was contained for years, it eventually broke loose in 1962.

Professor's presentation takes closer look at Centralia disaster - News - The Citizen Standard

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They say the ground stays really warm there and that snow never sticks. I recently watched a Docu on Netflix, it was quite entertaining. Check it out folks!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are probably still spots yet in the impact area.

Used to be allot worse.
thick steam every time it rained made the road almost impassable.
brush fires and cave ins along it.

most of this has calmed down since they rerouted the main road in.
and the coal seams seem to be running low on actual coal.
there are some days now it's hard to see any smoke rising unless you know where to look.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are probably still spots yet in the impact area...

Yea, that is probably the only place left that the snow melts pretty quick. I'm sure those remaining residents who are shoveling out their driveways wish it wouldn't stick!
killingme.gif

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what I remember the fire stayed pretty much South of park street,
where I drew the Line.

Untitled.jpg

but of course you know how the wanna Be Baby sitters of the world are.
just like someone lighting a cig at one end of a football field
gives cancer to everyone within a mile,

they insisted the whole town was in danger, and forced as many out as possible.

some history
http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/virtual.htm

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
IMHO - the politician's know the fire is no longer a threat. Unfortunately, they have spent so much money kicking everyone out Centralia that it would be embarassing and set a precedent if they decided to let the town alone. Besides, you have a coal company parked (and active) right up against Centralia just waiting for the last of the residents to leave. Oh yea, the State knows it will be another source of income once they let the drilling begin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions