Project to preserve shipwrecks Florida offshore

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...,0,5906594.story?page=1&track=mostemailedlink

The Copenhagen was a 325-foot steamship hauling coal from Philadelphia to Havana when in May 1900 it crashed onto a reef about a mile offshore present-day Pompano Beach. Much of its steel hull has fallen apart and now, about 30 feet under, has become part of the reef.

The Half Moon was a 154-foot long racing sailboat built for German nobility and seized as a war prize when it visited England as World War I was declared in 1914. The lavishly furnished yacht was resold, sunk, and eventually moored off Miami as a cabaret during Prohibition. A 1930 storm smashed it onto a sandy shoal just off Bear Cut on Key Biscayne, where it now remains under 10 feet of water.

The Lofthus was a 222-foot barque with false gunports painted along its steel hull to frighten Sumatran pirates. Carrying lumber from Pensacola to Buenos Aires, a storm blew it off course in the Strait of Florida. It wrecked off what is now Boynton Beach in early 1898 and rests in about 20 feet.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost posted this myself on Sunday morning.I think this is another underhanded tactic by the state to record the wrecks and deem them historical ,therefore making it illegal to recover artifacts from such said sites once they have been recorded in the historical register.Just one more thing you can look at but not "touch" in the waters off of Dade and Broward county.Great for the recreational diver but bad for the prospective salvor.What's next?I think there really looking for treasure and this is just a roundabout way to do it.Just as the last statement says on the front page of the article "You never know whats out there" said by Roger Smith an underwater archaeologist.I don't know maybe i'm wrong,i'm just skeptical when it comes to archies and historical preservation societies.Notice the way this statement is written;"Smith and local historians have organized a group of about 20 private divers,researchers,history buffs and yes,treasure hunters,to donate time,skill and equipment to the survey this summer." Whats with the "and yes treasurehunters" in that statement? I don't like the way that statement was worded,sounds as if they (treasurehunters)were included but not really wanted.Any of you out there included in this adventure? Anyone with any thoughts of your own on this matter? Let's hear your opinions.........

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
"We're not looking for treasure, it's anathema to the underwater archaeologist," said McAllister. "To even mention treasure, you're a pariah ... but it could always happen."

Thats the kind of statement that always corks me......what a crock....Looks like there are alot of Pariahs then in their folds..........................

RonS

Feb 1, 2006
New England
What we need is a national Association like the NRA to help us fight these unfair laws. One voice is nothing but 5 thousand voices sway elections. I for one would gladly pay ten or twenty bucks a year just like the NRA to join an association that would go to the states capital's and lobby and fight for our love and our hobby. Just my two cents friends.
RonS

RonS

Feb 1, 2006
New England
It would be first find first file. I'm not saying that there should not be any control over wrecks or land recovery. I'm saying the way things are going the only place you will be allowed to recover anything is your own yard and then if you don't tell anyone. The law's are becoming so restricted we are losing any freedom to TH we ever had.
RonS

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So who gets the licence? Conelius

Well first of all its license not licence.

The people with the right connections that have been in this business for a long time. I will not mention any names but some of them belong to this forum.
Its not what you know but who you know........

Best,

Chagy.........

RonS

Feb 1, 2006
New England
You can fight city hall. You just have to know how to do it. I guess not enough people love this life and this hobby and just use it to have arm chair adventures. Let's all hope when the government gets heavy handed enough people will sit up and take notice. The problem is when you lose your rights
( as the NRA Knows) you can very rarely get them back. I have always believed and will always believe. The best government is the government that governs lest. Nuff Said.

RonS

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cornelius said:
I was hooked on Florida . Did read everything available in the libraries . Really made a study of it . Collected a number of important maps . Made copies of all the documents related to the Floridian history . Read all the books with even the slightest bit of information in it . And that all in a language that was not my mothers tongue . I came a long way . Sometimes I get a little short tempered when I read the posts on this forum . But blame it all on my age and a great deal on disappointment in the way things are heading in Florida . Just my honest feeling . Cornelius
Agreed,nuff said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread