Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been in our family for as long as I can remember and I'm 63. I have no idea where it came from or when. It is made from a stone or plaster type material. There is a pattern on part of it that looks like gauze wrapping. You can see it in the last pic. It is pretty heavy and hard. We have used it as a for stop for many years.

Any guesses? tapatalk_1551297372010.jpeg tapatalk_1551297362044.jpeg tapatalk_1551297351073.jpeg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting for sure I would like to see an ID on it also.

Upvote 0

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being as how it’s a stone material, and kinda looks like the same material as those old stone crocs, do u think maybe it was a tool or dye for pottery or clay working? Idk. Looks real cool.

Upvote 0

Machkin

Nov 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pestle? only saying cuz of the rounded part that would fit nicely into a rather large mortar.

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
It may be part of a broken pestle.

Are there any small depressions visible?

Stone pestles where made by first pecking the stone with a hammer stone to the general shape of the unfinished relic. then polished through use and wear. These peck marks are often visible on the surface were the polish has not wore down below them or in the area not getting use wear.

Here is a celt i found way back. Notice on the poll end which were it was hafted the peck marks remain.
image_8.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being as how it’s a stone material, and kinda looks like the same material as those old stone crocs, do u think maybe it was a tool or dye for pottery or clay working? Idk. Looks real cool.
It doesn't really look like natural stone. It more looks like plaster but it's not chalky and it is pretty hard. It also seems to big and heavy too use as a tool. I've never weighed it but it is several pounds. It also doesn't have any sign of wear from use. I wish the pictures would show the surface better as it is hard to describe.

The family story is that it is some kind of bullet but......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be part of a broken pestle.

Are there any small depressions visible?

Stone pestles where made by first pecking the stone with a hammer stone to the general shape of the unfinished relic. then polished through use and wear. These peck marks are often visible on the surface were the polish has not wore down below them or in the area not getting use wear.

Here is a celt i found way back. Notice on the poll end which were it was hafted the peck marks remain.
View attachment 1686472
I've never seen any stone tools as large as this and it seems like it would be hard to use. There doesn't seem to be any wear to indicate any type of use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more piece of info. My family is from Southeast Louisiana, specifically Houma. All my life this has been there until I moved so it may be from that area.

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an artillery shell under all that plaster material. Possibly someone wrapped it with gauze and plaster to preserve it. Check it with a metal detector or a magnet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an artillery shell under all that plaster material. Possibly someone wrapped it with gauze and plaster to preserve it. Check it with a metal detector or a magnet.
I'll do that but it's in storage now.

There was an ammo plant in Houma during WW II but I don't know if it was related.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread