All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 730
Last edited:

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Im looking to purchase a highbanker dredge combo and im faced with this exact same problem. I keep reading that the keenes and prolines all build up material on the sluice under the grizzlies. Does a section of punchplate help fix this or are all highbanker dredge combos junk? Do i have to decide between a highbanker or dredge and count the combination out?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off that's a very old highbanker/d or it would already have a dredge attachment so the shovel box would not be needed to run as a dredge. Go to proline website and have a looksee at parts section on boxes. Punchplate always helps to protect fines for better retention. Add on a moveable rubber difusion curtain to smooth the flow out and spread it evenly helps also. The pic doesn't show if your running a powerjet or suction nozzle?? Makes a difference in trubidity and aireation of your inflow. Just run a pan midday to see how recovery is going,most of the time it's just a lack of confidence BUT don't like bullet more than halfway down the box as should be in the first 6"-bummer-John

OP
OP

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
resolved

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 355
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with John, a stray bullet near end of box - red flag!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats that orange thang?? Yes you have the newer unit with jet attachment-hence the problem. As you've seen the jet completely remixes what took place in the full length of your hose. Classification as the materials work their way up to your box is EXACTLY akin to the stratification that occurs in the streams. Then your gold is on the bottom portion of the flow and when it hits the flair it just flows right into the box undisturbed and drops out immediately,first 6" is desireable. With these mininal dual use units you really need a suction nozzle to 100% eliminate the horrendous remix of that blast from the jet. By the by-that angle sure looks HUGE on that pjinput-should be a miniscule 11 degrees max and that looks about 25-30 degrees?? PJ not under water also aireates the holy heck outta the flow and bubbles away the gold,floats. Rubber curtain- 1" 1/2 hard strip of anythang from al to wood bent ot slotted to hold in place with a 12-18 rubber floating curtain does wonders for retention also-John

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are running the dredge with the jet hanger attached where it is shown in the pic you are running way too much angle on the sluice.That hanger should be about center of the jet.Also from the pic the engine/pump looks too far forward on the pontoons.

Edit...I based my response on my 3'' combo frame.I looked at a 2'' on Proline Web site and your set up is correct. Wes

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw a orange flap so please excuse me--colorful though I must admit. Ifn ya want a flair old traffic cones work pretty good,sounds funny but would go with flaming orange just right. All kidding aside seen a few work and elcheapo at dumps/swaps and garage sales and TOUGH enough to last for years,ez to attach and squish into flared input-or spend cash your call-have a ball,quick as water dropping by the minute around here-WOW_John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the trouble with any bright colors on your dredge is that it attracts the wacoenviromentalists to your equipment for possible damage! my red/white Honda engine is a prime example! i can see it 1/2 mile away when its pushed up against/into brush along the creek! it stands out like a target!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another trick to help recovery,especially with d/hb units is to cut a piece of hose at least 3' long to move that jet farther away from the box and helps to end so much mixing and air mixing,just a smoother intro sure helps-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread