Promising first box (so far)

JoseyWales23

Jan 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally got around to ordering my very first box of half dollars. Upon initial inspection, I noticed a couple 40% enders. I've searched about 8 - 10 rolls out of the 50 and have found 6 40%. Alas, no 90% yet (in this box or throughout my short CRH career in 2015), but still quite a bit to search. I'll post pics of the final count in this first search!

Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how the hobby gets ya! Beginners luck will turn CRH into an obsession.

My first box had a few keepers in it. I was like, "this is easy, why isn't everyone doing this?"

That got me hooked, I've now been a CRH addict for 2 years. Just waiting on that next AG fix.

HH

OP
OP
J

JoseyWales23

Jan 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how the hobby gets ya! Beginners luck will turn CRH into an obsession.

I created a spreadsheet, to measure and track my success. I just started on Jan 1st, and not including this box, I've searched $793 in half dollars. Total 40% coins found = 18!! This $500 box is definitely going to bolster those totals, and with any luck, provide my first 90% :)

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
My first box had a few keepers in it. I was like, "this is easy, why isn't everyone doing this?"

That got me hooked, I've now been a CRH addict for 2 years. Just waiting on that next AG fix.

HH

Heh same deal here. I think I pulled six 40% and ten 40% out of my first two boxes. You can't even appreciate it yet because you don't have the perspective of how tough it can be!

OP
OP
J

JoseyWales23

Jan 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great box! So pumped. Definitely hope this luck continues!

23 total

5 - 90% (1 1964 Ken, 4 franks!!)
18 - 40%

image1.JPG

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great box! Enjoy the luck, my last 4 boxes have been skunks

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To put things into perspective, I've been at this for 2-3 years and have searched well over $35,000 worth of halves (well over 70,000 coins). That is not near the amount that many on here searched in the same period, but it is good enough to show some statistics. Over those 70,000-plus coins, I've found 161 silver halves (127 40%/34 90%). There was also a cool clad commemorative half, impaired clad proofs and NIFC halves, but in any event my keepers are a tiny, tiny fraction of what I've searched. I hope your good numbers continue, but it's realistic to expect you will average 1-2 silver halves per box, and since that's an average you will have some good boxes that pump up your numbers, a lot of skunks, and everything in between. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
J

JoseyWales23

Jan 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To put things into perspective, I've been at this for 2-3 years and have searched well over $35,000 worth of halves (well over 70,000 coins). That is not near the amount that many on here searched in the same period, but it is good enough to show some statistics. Over those 70,000-plus coins, I've found 161 silver halves (127 40%/34 90%). There was also a cool clad commemorative half, impaired clad proofs and NIFC halves, but in any event my keepers are a tiny, tiny fraction of what I've searched. I hope your good numbers continue, but it's realistic to expect you will average 1-2 silver halves per box, and since that's an average you will have some good boxes that pump up your numbers, a lot of skunks, and everything in between. Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks, CC!

After reading these boards, I know how lucky I am to get a score like that. In my short career, I've really lucked out. $1,263.00 searched, and 41 coins found so far!!!

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year I've searched 6000$ worth of halves. All I have to show for it is 2 40% and 1 clipped planchet.

OP
OP
J

JoseyWales23

Jan 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!!!

Getting another box from the same location tomorrow - hoping it's even half as good :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread